Can I do Anemones?

kopczynski

I have a 60 gallon tank cycling with live sand and live rock. For filtration I have a Fluval 406 and an Eheim Aquaball 2210. I have a marineland seaclone 100 protein skimmer. For lighting I have 2 Marineland natural daylight F15 T8/18". I will be adding 2 ocellaris clowns 1 yellow eye tang 1 pyramid butterfly 1 lemon peel angel 1 six line wrasse and 1 royal gamma basslet. i was interested in adding a mini carpet anemone or any other easy anemone for beginners.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczynski http:///t/397505/can-i-do-anemones#post_3543075
I have a 60 gallon tank cycling with live sand and live rock. For filtration I have a Fluval 406 and an Eheim Aquaball 2210. I have a marineland seaclone 100 protein skimmer. For lighting I have 2 Marineland natural daylight F15 T8/18". I will be adding 2 ocellaris clowns 1 yellow eye tang 1 pyramid butterfly 1 lemon peel angel 1 six line wrasse and 1 royal gamma basslet. i was interested in adding a mini carpet anemone or any other easy anemone for beginners.

Hi,

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting one, but I do want you to be aware....

Anemones are light hungry, and carpet anemones get really big...all types will eat your fish....and anything else dumb enough to get too close, like shrimp or snails. They follow the water flow, and can get sucked up into the intake tubes and power heads, poisoning the tank as it dies, so you must cover all of them. They can't be "placed" they find their own happy spot, and sometimes that's in the back of the tank where you can't even see it, or right on top of a coral killing it. Nor do they stay in the happy spot, and may decide to move to a new place at any time.

I love the way they look, but I got tired of mine eating the fish, and the power heads clogged fast once they were covered. They also need near perfect steady parameters and shouldn't be added to a new tank, wait 6 months to a year for the tank to mature before you add one.

Rock anemones are the exception, they stay on the rock (mine never got sucked up nor traveled.) and mine never bothered anything...still it must be up high for the best light possible and they still need good steady parameters.

pegasus

Anemone need GOOD lighting to survive. I raised this guy from a pup, and I started with T8 lighting. It stayed snow white the short time it was in that tank. I moved it to a bigger tank with 2 x 96W PC lamps, and it turned a light tan color during a year's time. I upgraded to a six-bulb T5 HO lamp a little over a month ago, and now it has a nice green color with light pink tips on the tentacles. Sufficient lighting, good water parameters, and occasional feedings are absolute "musts" to raising health anemones.

PS: It has never eaten a healthy fish, but it has taken care of a few sick, weak fish. A healthy anemone is extremely sticky, so anything that contacts it is not likely to get away.

tthemadd1

I have Rainbow Rose Bubble Tip anemones. They are not as light greedy as other anemones. Although power compacts are a minimum. T5's reef LEDS or metal halides are preferred. You need to hand feed them and they WILL NOT stay where you want them. Finally none of your rockwork can touch the glass to keep them from climbing up the glass towards your powerheads. Anemones will not thrive or color up well under low end lighting so I would say lights first then anemone. Just my .02