can i do hypo with established sand in tank?

reefjunkiee

hello, i have a 55 gallon tank that is welle stablished. can i remove all the rock and add that to my big tank and use this tank with the sand for my hospital/QT tank and perform hypo? i need to start this right away any advice welcome thank you.

reefjunkiee

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3161676
Yes, you can. Do you have a refractometer?

sure do. with the sand in the tank will that keep me from having a ammonia spike? i also have a mandarin, does he need the hypo as well? tank size is 56 gallon, fish are 1 small yellow tang, 1 small hippo, 1 royal gramma, 1 cardnial, 2 clowns, 1 purple dotty and 5 small chromis. is this too much or will it be okay?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely no copper in the display tank. That will indeed kill off your biofilter.
Live rock is a natural filter which be taken out of your display, so you may get some ammonia. But certainly nothing like what you would get in a completely uncycled tank.
The mandarin would be better off going in the tank with the LR.
Your tank is way too small for 1 tang, let alone two tangs. You should be looking for suitable new homes for them.

reefjunkiee

the tank that has the fish with ich is a 125, with 40 gallon sump. the 56 has 2 clowns and the purple dotty with the mandarin. i was going to use that tank to treat all fish and mnove the LR into my sump and my 125.

reefjunkiee

and will the mandarin need the treatment or can he go to the 125 and still have the ich cycle broken? i am ready to start treatment, either the copper or hypo.

reefjunkiee

ok beth, will the ich still be present in my 125 with him in there? and for the record you are saying its okay to do hypo in my 56 with the sand in the tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The mandarin should not host ich, since they have a natural immunity. Keep a close eye on him anyway, just to be 100 percent. The mandarin needs the LR for food source.
Hypo does not adversely effect the biofilter in sandbeds.

reefjunkiee

alot of work, all fish now in QT and im starting to drop my salinity. hope the mandarin doesn't host ich or all this is for nothing. thanks for the help wish my babies luck.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
In all my years working here with people with fish diseases, I have never seen a mandarin with ich. As I said, just keep an eye on him daily using a magnifying glass to give you the edge on this.

melypr1985

http:///forum/post/3162194
In all my years working here with people with fish diseases, I have never seen a mandarin with ich. As I said, just keep an eye on him daily using a magnifying glass to give you the edge on this.
wow! this was my problem almost exactly! i have a manderan in a tank with other fish that have ich. i wanted to do what this guys is doing pull all the fish out and QT and do Hypo. I was worried about my manderan, but now I know I should just leave him in the display so he can eat. Although, I have a seperate refuge that I was using to cultivate pods. Would it be safer to put him in that tank until my display is completely rid of the ich? or should I just leave him be?

reefjunkiee

ok i ran into a problem grrrrrrrrr. i have been calibrting my reffractormeter with dist water per the instructions, but people are telling me that is not accurate. right now i am at 1.013. but im scared i could be off and i dont want to kill my fish. and shipping calibration fluid will not get to me until next week. what do i do??

reefjunkiee

can you believe i just spent 40 bucks on a bottle of pinpoint calibration fluid? i feel violated, but i had it overnighted. i will get it thursday, im sure with dist/ro di water its close but for hypo i feel its best to be EXACT.

reefjunkiee

# 2 - Immunity / Resistance - Some fish are more susceptible to ich than others … often directly associated with the thickness of the mucus lining or type of scales on the fish. Some fish like Tangs are known as ich magnets – probably because of the lack of scales. Some fish like Mandarin’s are considered highly resistant to ich – probably because of the thick mucus lining. Being less susceptible to ich does not necessarily make them immune from ich … Mandarins as examples are less likely to be infected – but they can be infected and have been known to die from ich.
there seems to be quite alot of talk saying they can get ich, and if thye can get ich can they not host this parasite, possibly in the gills and when i put my other fish back in im starting over again?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, they have a good deal of natural immunity, but I won't say its 100%. If you will observe this fish over the next two weeks, then you will know if you have a rare mandarin with ich and then need to deal with that as well. However, due to mandarin's particular dietary needs, it is extremely difficult to QT them.
Why do you think the refract is inaccurate??

reefjunkiee

he doesnt have any visable spots, i was more worried about his gills where ich likes to attack. I have doubts about the refract because it has been calibrated with dist water, which is not accurate for saltwater use. that is why i bought the calib fluid, to fine tune it to saltwater. i am at 1.010 right now but most people seem to be a couple thousanths with disr or ro water used to calibrate.
the fish are not showing any stress at all, they are very active and eat like pigs, so i hope i can get rid of this nasty parasite. i seen a few spots on the yellow tang and a few on the blue.

reefjunkiee

http:///forum/post/3162850
As I said, they have a good deal of natural immunity, but I won't say its 100%. If you will observe this fish over the next two weeks, then you will know if you have a rare mandarin with ich and then need to deal with that as well. However, due to mandarin's particular dietary needs, it is extremely difficult to QT them.
Why do you think the refract is inaccurate??

Beth,
I the mandarin does not have any signs of ich. but some people have said they can host it. Now i have seen you here for years, and i trust your judgment. should i get rid of the mandarin or would you say its will be fine with him in the DT? this is tough, and im paranoid and stressed and i may end up getting white spots.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I can't decide for you about whether to get rid of the mandarin.
As I said, they have natural immunity, and most likely yours will not have ich. If it does get ich, you will know it within a couple of weeks, which is why I have told you to keep daily watch on the mandarin to see if you see ich. In the meantime, your other fish are in treatment, and you will know about the mandarin way before the other fish return.
The ich will not hide on the mandarin waiting for an opportune moment. If by some rare chance, this mandarin gets ich, then you will know it and be able to deal with it before your other fish are ready to return to the display. I have yet to ever see a mandarin with ich, though.
Have you ever seen ich on this mandarin? If not, then why do you think you will see it now?