Can I do this.

crf230

I have a 29 gallon aquarium that has been running for about 2 years. I have about 35 pounds lr, fish and a bunch of corals. Right know I have crushed coral, and I was wandering is I got rid of the crushed coral and put live sand in it's place, if that would be ok. :notsure: Also, does live sand blow around easely. I have a mag 5 pump and another 120 gph pump in the tank. Thanks!!

krazekajin

you can do this and it would be best if you do this. However, you have to be careful because when you begin to stir up the crushed coral bed, you will release a great cloud of junk. My suggestion is to do about a fourth of the bed a week. This will allow your levels not to spike becuase you might get a small cycle. If you only remove a scoop or two a week you won't get a noticible cycle.

cannonman

I just did that on a 75 and I took all rock, inverts, etc. out of the tank and put in rubbermade tubs and then took out all the crushed coral and replaced with live sand... looks much better! The CC was so loaded with sludge that you wouldn't beleive it- smelled to high heaven, my water perameters stayed great through the whole thing to (also did a 30% water change when I put the old water back in)

crf230

Thanks! :joy:
Can I leave the live rock where it is, and take out all the visible cc and replace that with sand? :notsure:

30-xtra high

just take out as much as possbile, replacing the visible crushed coral is a heck of a lot better than not replacing any at all.

ophiura

Can I ask why you want to do this?
You must know that you do run the risk of crashing your tank. If you are doing it because everyone says to do it vs because you really prefer sand....
What are your parameters (esp nitrate, phosphate). Do you have algae issues?

crf230

My water parameter are perfect, and I don't have an algea problem. I want to change because it is starting to get dall looking, and is starting to get coraline algea on it. It's basicly for looks. I found a place on ---- that was selling 30 live sand for $18.00 with $10.00 shipping, :cheer: so I bought it.
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!