can i get a empeorer

puffer9006

i have a 72g reef and i want a juvi. and i heard people can have them without any problems in a reef. i know they will out grow the tank but i will trade it in when it gets to big.

lion_crazz

Where will you trade it in when it gets too big? Are you referring to emporer snappers? They get 3 feet and become highly aggressive as they get bigger.

ophiura

angel or snapper?
Same answer to both, which is no.
The angel I would say would be a minimum of a 150...and I don't think it would be at its best even in that. As for whether it will pick at corals...hit or miss, maybe not SPS or some soft corals, but LPS and clams quite possibly.

iluvswfish

I wouldn't unless you plan on upgrading. I have one and these guys are so cool, you won't want to trade him in when it's time. Also mine eats everything that hits the water and pciks all day so, I would be hesitant to put him in with LPS corals and clams.

scsinet

Originally Posted by iluvswfish
I wouldn't unless you plan on upgrading. I have one and these guys are so cool, you won't want to trade him in when it's time. Also mine eats everything that hits the water and pciks all day so, I would be hesitant to put him in with LPS corals and clams.
I have the same problem, when a fish grows too aggressive or otherwise has to go it's hard... it's not like you love the fish like a family member, but you take a certain satisfaction in keeping a fish successfully for a long time, particularly when you watch it mature in your care. It's hard to let that go.
On a side note, I once saw an episode of Malcom in the Middle where they were keeping an adult Imperator in a 10 gallon tank. If only TV was like reality. :thinking:

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by SCSInet
I have the same problem, when a fish grows too aggressive or otherwise has to go it's hard... it's not like you love the fish like a family member, but you take a certain satisfaction in keeping a fish successfully for a long time, particularly when you watch it mature in your care. It's hard to let that go.
On a side note, I once saw an episode of Malcom in the Middle where they were keeping an adult Imperator in a 10 gallon tank. If only TV was like reality. :thinking:
i rembeber that episode didnt he put it a blender :thinking:

seattle

If you plan on keeping a juvi and then letting it go...HHmmm...I don't see a problem putting a 2-inch fish in a 72-gal

scsinet

Originally Posted by surfinusa
i rembeber that episode didnt he put it a blender :thinking:
Yes, but thankfully he was only trying to scare people, so he didn't run it.
What a shame that would have been.