Can I get any low light corals w/my lighting?

briandg

I have had my tank up for over a year as a FOWLR. It's doing great. I would like to add some color to my tank however. Are there any Corals that I can add to a 55 gal w/70lbs of live rock using 2X65 PC lighting. I know it's low, but I was wondering if any corals would be ok under this lighting.
Here are some pictures of the rock set up, they were taken when after I removed my crushed coral :). The rocks are stills set up in this way.
Aquascape Link

reefkprz

what size is your tank? if those lights have been on the tank a year you will have to change the bulbs first.

watson3

Originally Posted by briandg
Corals that I can add to a 55 gal
How high up in the tank does the rock rise

briandg

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
what size is your tank? if those lights have been on the tank a year you will have to change the bulbs first.
I will get the measurments tonight, but it's a standard retagular 55 gal. tank. It's an older tank. I do have new lights to put in, but haven't worried about it yet since I have no corals. I realize I will need to replace them much more often w/corals, but hated to waste the money on changing them until it was necessary.
Here is a link to the picture of the tank when I first set it up, the rock is still situated the same as the pictures show.
aquascape link

ci11337

I have had my tank up for over a year as a FOWLR. It's doing great. I would like to add some color to my tank however. Are there any Corals that I can add to a 55 gal w/70lbs of live rock using 2X65 PC lighting. I know it's low, but I was wondering if any corals would be ok under this lighting.
If you want corals you should upgrade,
but you could probably keep some 'shrooms and button polyps if they are kept near the surface and you have 50/50 bulbs. Don't take only my word for it though, i'm no expert so wait for some more replies before getting corals...

fedukeford

Not really much more often, just every 6 months. You'd be able to keep xenia, shrooms, and some zoos on the sand or lower in the tank, but everything else will have to be higher up in the tank

reefkprz

sorry I missed the part where you said 55Gallon. mushrooms, and some other lowlight corals maybe, after you change the bulbs of course. but you should consider an upgrade once you start buying corals its hard to put the brakes on.

briandg

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
sorry I missed the part where you said 55Gallon. mushrooms, and some other lowlight corals maybe, after you change the bulbs of course. but you should consider an upgrade once you start buying corals its hard to put the brakes on.
LOL, I'm sure, I hate to put too much into it right now though, because I'm planning on upgrading the whole thing in a year or so. It's hard to put on the brakes for the fish too. :)

reefkprz

I read your aquascape link I used tyo have all my stuff in a 45Gallon high talk about a skinny restrictive tank to work in look at this clustered mess, and to think I used to frag corals in that tank.

ophiura

Here are some pictures of the rock set up, they were taken when after I removed my crushed coral :). The rocks are stills set up in this way.
Aquascape Link

What fish do you have?

briandg

I have a Lawnmower Blenny, 2 Clowns, Royal Gamma, and Coral Beauty Angel. The Coral Beauty is the only one I'd be worried about.
Thanks

emmitt2

You can always add corals that dont really need any light such as sun sorals and chili corals. They would definitely be fine with your lights or even less and look very nice, especially the sun corals.