can i get mandarin

gopherfish

i have a 50 gal tank and as been set up for about 2 1/2 months. But i bought live rock off of a friend and he has had his live rock for about 2 to 3 years

ducky

I personally would wait awhile to allow your pod population to increase. Do you have a sump or fuge to allow the pods to breed without predation? I think that is the only way to reliably maintain the food source for a mandarin.

zanclus

IMO i would wait on getting the mandarin. They eat "Pods" only and you need to have a hugh supply of them .The longer you wait the more pods you will have.

zanclus

I waited a couple of years before I got mine. I wuld rather wait then starve the little guy. Mandarins can exhaust thier food supply real fast.

nycbob

u really hv to see a lot of pods b4 getting one. i waited 8 months b4 i got mine. i now hv a scooter and a mandarin. i also got a fuge just for them.

gopherfish

what about since the rock is so old and would it do good with a lawnmoewer
my lawnmoewer killed my sand sifting goby so i dont know

tokey

The experts say you need to wait a year or more and that it takes 100 lbs of live rock to keep a mandarin alive.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by gopherfish
i have a 50 gal tank and as been set up for about 2 1/2 months. But i bought live rock off of a friend and he has had his live rock for about 2 to 3 years
Without a productive fuge, a tank that size probably will not support a Dragonet.
There are always exceptions, and I'm sure some folks will post here that it can be done, just remember people don't post their failures.