Can I have 2 porcupine puffers in one tank?

I already have one puffer about 4 inches long. I also have one panther grouper about 6 inches and sweetlips about 4 inches. What I wanted to know is can I put a new puffer in if it was only about 2 inches long.
Thank You for the help
Sarah :)

mmslue79

Well let me think about this for a bit........I would think you could, but it would be best if you get them about the same size and introduce them at the same time, IMO. I will let others chime in and give you thier .2 cents. Not sure of the compatibility of the other fish you mentioned, but if they are fine now, they should be fine down the road.....HTH
:p

cwfish

First off, even if 2 puffers would get allong ok, you would need a very large tank for 2 puffers & a panther grouper which also get very large. Even then, most puffers do not get allong well together even in large tanks. Not a good idea.

I did not put it down but I have a 125 gal. Dont know it that would be big enough but would like to know. Or maybe I could have a reason to go bigger.
Sarah :)

silkks11

u can keep 2 pourcupines together no problem, I've done it two times, they get along great and form great bonds, I've never had a problem and a 125 is fine for them

cwfish

No offense to silkks11, but keeping those fish in a 125 with a panther grouper and a sweetlips isn't going to fly once the puffers get big. I am assuming you are talking about the large type of puffers (porks, stars & stripes, dogface, etc.) If so, not a good idea at all. If you look at it on pure stocking levels not even taking into consideration the fish getting allong, you come up with roughly 35-40 inches of fish which would require minimally a 180. Even then probably not a good idea.

grouperhead

Unless you have a mated pair of porks, it isn't the smartest idea to keep them in the same tank. There is a chance they will bond, but there is also a very good chance they won't. If they don't, it could cause hell in your tank. They will constantly be chasing and attacking one another. Not fun. Bo

jake22

Just thought i would add that a 125 gallon is not big enough for a panther grouper once it grows.