Can I have live rock

blender

I have a 55 gal with a standard light. I always though you needed special lighting to keep live rock. I went to a new LFS and the guy said I could keep lr with a standard light. Is he right or is he just trying to sell me?

twoods71

You can have LR under normal light without any problems. The thing is some people want thing like corals or desired algea to grow on the LR and that requires more lighting then just the standard bulbs.

blender

OK I ok with no coral and algea. When you say desired algea won't grow does that mean undesirable algea will? I guess my question is should I put lr in the tank and if I do is there anything speacial I need to do to care for it?
Thanks

twoods71

Undesired algae growth will probably depend on water quality and light spectrum.
Nothing really special needed for the rock if your not looking to grow corals or the hard encrusting algaes.
The most desired part about having LR is the ability for benificial bacteria to grow on it to help break down ammonia and nitrites. The little critters that sometimes come with LR are also benificial.
I had LR in a 29 gallon tank for over 4 years under normal bulbs.

beecher

Yeah!!!!!!! I just want to thank Sammystingray for saying what I have felt for a long time. It seems that all that you read on here is that you HAVE to have LR and/or LS to be successful in this hobby. I won’t deny the benefits of LR, but with proper filtration and regular tank maintenance, a FO tank can thrive and bring much enjoyment without the often over priced and over rated live rock. IMO for a FO tank, the cost of LR is not worth it.

twoods71

There is no better education then experience and no book can tell you what experience can teach you.
IMO LR is an excellent addition to any tank.
Is it needed? No. Is it helpful? Yes.
Benificial bacteria needs surface area to grow. The more surface area provided the better IMO.

fender

If money is a concern add a little rock at a time. This will allow you to get only the best looking rocks from your LFS and build up over time.
Also when your tank is up and established and you feel the need to 'add another fish' you could just buy some rock instead.
I spend as much time watching the stuff on my rocks as I do the fish.

blender

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to save the cash and stick with my barnacle decor and freq water chagnes.

guppie

IMO, I have been in this hobby for over 25 years and just 2 weeks ago I bought my first lr, and it is going to be for the first reef tank I am setting up. I don't know if lr is better for a fo tank or not but I know I have had some very good sucess with out useing it. If you have the right filter and do your maintenance you can have a great tank. This is not to say that it is not good but I would rather spend my money on something else. Just my two cents. Good LUck