Can I have tangs in my 55 gallon?

ocellaris_keeper

Yes! - keep in mind that you should nknow what size the fish will be when full grown. You may be able to raise your tangs and return them to your LPS for credit and replace it with another one. I have done this with damsels and clowns with my LPS a few times already.

the bluedevil

You can but really shouldnt. One would be fine for awhile until it out grows you tank which is pretty quick. I had a Yellow Tang in a 75g that went from 2" to 5" in alittle over a year. Also depending on the type most dont get along well in small areas.

eric18

I would notadvise putting tangs in a 55 gallon tank they will putfrpw it and by that time you will most likely become attach or it swill get stressed and die due to the lack of swimming room.

aquarius

I have a juv-v Atlantic Blue Tang in a 40 gallon f/o and he seems to be doing fine. I realize the size issue so when he outgrows my tank, I plan to put him in my father's 75, and if he outgrows that, then my uncles 150!

fshhub

dwarf angels and some wrasses possibly, can be agood addition, if it is size and color that you desire, but tangs, I wouldn't not in a 55 gal
HTH

flamehawk

We'll it's been a while since I've posted but I had to answer this one. I've had a purple Tang and A PB tang in 2 seperate 55's for over two years. They are full grown and are doing great. They are accompanied by only two small fish( A dwarf angel and maroon clown). All is well and I've never had an outbreal of ich etc. Would never put more than one tang in a 55. Thought I'd share my 2 cents. Happy holidays and good luck.

von_rahvin

Tnags need lots of room to swim. I kept a yellow tank in a 55 for a year, but after that i upgraded him to a 135. also it should be noted that you can not keep or rather should not kepp 2 tangs of the same genus together :) aka not a powder blue and a powder brown. a sailfin and a yellow things like that they will fight. a 55 is really to small to keep one for a long period of time

frenchman

I have a yellow tang in my 55g reef tank and he is the boss. Honestly, I agree with everybody above - 55g is really small for a tang. I've got some ick problems too - but that's almost a given with a tang and it was eventually taken care of in and by my reef. I just loved the color of the yellow tang and it makes a nice addition to my tank but I know that it's not the best conditions and that I take a risk. If you want to play it safe, avoid to put a tang in a 55g tank. It's better in a 75g tank but it's up to you. ;)

predator

I'v got a yellow tang in my 75 reef and he's big.It's really up to you.I mean if you can part with the fish later then get a small one and when he gets big get rid of em'.If not maybe you should re-consider.I know I pesonally could'nt get rid of mine after having him for awhile. Coral beauties are one of my favrites and one would work great in a 55.Flame angels are pretty to.Tangs get big and you could have success with one in a 55.Just depends....Either way good luck and I hope it works out.