Can I put an anemone in a 75 gallon tank?

lennon

I am getting my set up ready and for future needed to know if I can put an anemone in the 75 gallon tank. It is 4 ft wide and the LFS said that they would not do it. It was not recommended because the tank is too small and it need prestine conditions. Not tomention
that if one dies and there is flow in the tank..I will then have to vacuum it out because it does not come out in one piece.
Any advise?? Anyone have success??
thanks much!!!

saltyj

I have had a BTA in my 75 gal for almost two and a half years. It has split about 6 times in the last year. Three times just in the last two weeks. I agree with the pristine water conditions and you need some serious light for them to really thrive. I have 2 65 watt actinics, 2 65watt 10ks and a 400 Watt MH on my 75 and my corals and anemones go nuts.

fishieness

people have had anenomes in tanks much smaller. but your LFS is right in the sence that they need pristine water conditions. They also can get pretty big depending on the type. They can sting, walk on,kill any corals that they come in contact with while they are serching for a spot that they like. They also need a lot of lighting. how much lighting do you have? And if they die, they should be removed ASAP because they will disintigrate.

lennon

Originally Posted by SaltyJ
I have had a BTA in my 75 gal for almost two and a half years. It has split about 6 times in the last year. Three times just in the last two weeks. I agree with the pristine water conditions and you need some serious light for them to really thrive. I have 2 65 watt actinics, 2 65watt 10ks and a 400 Watt MH on my 75 and my corals and anemones go nuts.
I am getting lights today...I am pretty new..so can you tell me what brands you have?
I have a canopy..is there something you recommend?
Also, do you have heat issues? does it get really hot and then I would need a chiller? I wanted to avoid that. sounds like alot of light...maybe I should just skip the anemones. But I love them :eek:(
thanks

lennon

Originally Posted by fishieness
people have had anenomes in tanks much smaller. but your LFS is right in the sence that they need pristine water conditions. They also can get pretty big depending on the type. They can sting, walk on,kill any corals that they come in contact with while they are serching for a spot that they like. They also need a lot of lighting. how much lighting do you have? And if they die, they should be removed ASAP because they will disintigrate.
I am not sure what lighting to get? I am getting ready to purchase everything..so I am open for suggestions. I wanted to get the lights that I would need should I decide to do the anemones...but if I don't, can I still use those lights or would that be overkill for the soft corals??
thanks

fishieness

it would depend on the coral if it is overkill. for any of the other corals that dont need so much light like mushrooms, you will want to put them on the bottom of your tank. An anenome will thrive with metal halide lighting. But some corals will do poorly with this like sun corals or other ones that are non/minorly-photosynthetic.
But if you are pretty new at this, i would hold off on the anonome. Wait at least 6 months before adding an anoenome after your tank has cycled. And wait at least 4 to add any corals at all.

lennon

it would depend on the coral if it is overkill. for any of the other corals that dont need so much light like mushrooms, you will want to put them on the bottom of your tank. An anenome will thrive with metal halide lighting. But some corals will do poorly with this like sun corals or other ones that are non/minorly-photosynthetic.
But if you are pretty new at this, i would hold off on the anonome. Wait at least 6 months before adding an anoenome after your tank has cycled. And wait at least 4 to add any corals at all.

Yes, I plan to take my time and wait until the tank is alittle more established before I add those things. It's tough though.
But is there a way to get lights that are just powercompact now and then should I decide to do MH..I can add those?
How would I go about avoiding the expense of starting a completely new light fixture??
thanks so much

fishieness

They make some metal halide pendants that will hang form the ceiling. I believe with a 75 you would be able to fit both a pendant and also a small PC fixture. someone correct me if you dont agree. Also, coralife makes a HOB(hang-on-back) fixture that will clip on to the back of your tank.

lennon

They make some metal halide pendants that will hang form the ceiling. I believe with a 75 you would be able to fit both a pendant and also a small PC fixture. someone correct me if you dont agree. Also, coralife makes a HOB(hang-on-back) fixture that will clip on to the back of your tank.
thanks..but unfortunately I will be using a canopy. Why cant I use 4 x 96 watt power compact lights?
I thought it was just about the wattage..

thanks for the help

fishieness

it is not jsut about the wattage. It is about the PAR and Lumens. This is what photosynthesis requires. Wattage is jsut how much power you have. For example, 150 watts of PC in a 75 would not be sufficient to keep many corals, but a 150 watt metal halid would bring you a lot further.
i have 2X96 watts on my 40 breeder (only 16 inches high) and i have had people debate if i have enough light. i want to get at least 4X96 watts or maybe another 75 of t5 before i try one of the moderatly-photosynthetic ones like a BTA or a LTA.
i am not entirely familiar with the dimentions of a 75, like the depth, so i am not positive if 4X96 watts would be sufficient.
they do make retro-fit kits for a canopy where you can just build a metal halid setup into your canopy. Check those out if you are interested in metal halides

lennon

It is 75 gallons, 4ft wide and 18" in depth.
I think I am going to do the fish with LR/LS and possibly soft corals and feather such later.
So what would you recommend. I kind of want to avoid MH and will avoid anemones for that reason..so what are the alternatives? I would do retrofit..but I am not handy and then I also have to get the ballasts I believe and don't want to make this complicated on myself.
Hopefully I can get some help here
thanks for the input

fishieness

if you do not decide to do anenomes 4X96 watts of PC will allow you to keep many types of corals. softies, musrhooms, zoa, and someLPS corals even.

lennon

if you do not decide to do anenomes 4X96 watts of PC will allow you to keep many types of corals. softies, musrhooms, zoa, and someLPS corals even.
That sounds good..
I will start with the LR/LS and fish for now..once I get the hang..then I guess I will add the other wonderful species...alittle at a time of course

inkman2004

You do not have to have MH for an anemone. Bubble tip anemones do great under PC lighting. I have had mine under 4x65w PC lighting in a 55 gallon. But you do need great water conditions. Yes an anemone can mess up your tank if it doesn't live but you have warning signs if the anemone isn't doing well. As long as you wait until your tank is established for at least 6 mo.( I would recomend a year), then you can have success. Hope this helps.

fishieness

this is very true. as i said, not all type need metal halids (i believe i said this). lol But they will only do better under them. lol
personaly, although i think anenomes are georgious, i think there are pleanty of other corals that i like more that are easier to maintain, need less lighting requirements, and even less expensive. This is JMO though. Anenomes are still georgious none the less.

inkman2004

Well first off I wasn't trying to go against what you were saying fishie. I was speaking to the person asking the question. Wouldn't you like to hear it from more than one person? Second of all it is your opinion to want other corals instead of anemones. If he weren't interested in them he wouldn't have asked. I would rather encourage him to get one than not. As long as they take the precautions to learn what they are buying. Sorry if I offended you with my earlier response. It was just my opinion.
Later,

lennon

Originally Posted by inkman2004
You do not have to have MH for an anemone. Bubble tip anemones do great under PC lighting. I have had mine under 4x65w PC lighting in a 55 gallon. But you do need great water conditions. Yes an anemone can mess up your tank if it doesn't live but you have warning signs if the anemone isn't doing well. As long as you wait until your tank is established for at least 6 mo.( I would recomend a year), then you can have success. Hope this helps.

That was the lighting the petstore recommended. I have a 4 ft tank but with a canopy. So I am going to have to get the 36" instead so it can have ventilation.
What kind of lights do you have and if you can please tell me what other things you have in your tank so I know what can work in there.
thanks so much!!

lennon

this is very true. as i said, not all type need metal halids (i believe i said this). lol But they will only do better under them. lol
personaly, although i think anenomes are georgious, i think there are pleanty of other corals that i like more that are easier to maintain, need less lighting requirements, and even less expensive. This is JMO though. Anenomes are still georgious none the less.

Thanks for your opinion. Can you tell me what other corals are easier to take care of?
I am going to look them up..maybe I'll just skip the anemones for now since maintenance
would be less.
thanks

kjord97

Welcome to the world of anenomes. hehe I have had a bubble-tip in my 20 gallon reef tank for about a year, he split 3 times and he was under a pc light with 120watts. i was using only a protein skimmer and live rock. I then moved the tank to a 45 gallon tank and upgraded the lighting to a 175 mh and 120 watts of actinics. cpr hang on refugium and same protein skimmer. the little guy has grow to about 7 inches and has split 7 more times in past year. i have had him now for 2 years and he is now in a new upgraded 125 reef tank. they are scattered everywhere in the tank. when i first started with anenomes i had 3 of them die on me, disappeared over night, would find my hermits eating them. now i have some many i need to get rid of some. But good luck. by the water yes the water needs to be in good condition. alot of people dont believe me but i run straight well water and salt mix. everything thrives very well.
here is an old pic of how my 45 gal looked, here is a link to my upgrade of the 45 to a 125 gal http://www.smmas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=152 the forums are on the club i am apart of.

lennon

Originally Posted by kjord97
Welcome to the world of anenomes. hehe I have had a bubble-tip in my 20 gallon reef tank for about a year, he split 3 times and he was under a pc light with 120watts. i was using only a protein skimmer and live rock. I then moved the tank to a 45 gallon tank and upgraded the lighting to a 175 mh and 120 watts of actinics. cpr hang on refugium and same protein skimmer. the little guy has grow to about 7 inches and has split 7 more times in past year. i have had him now for 2 years and he is now in a new upgraded 125 reef tank. they are scattered everywhere in the tank. when i first started with anenomes i had 3 of them die on me, disappeared over night, would find my hermits eating them. now i have some many i need to get rid of some. But good luck. by the water yes the water needs to be in good condition. alot of people dont believe me but i run straight well water and salt mix. everything thrives very well.
here is an old pic of how my 45 gal looked, here is a link to my upgrade of the 45 to a 125 gal http://www.smmas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=152 the forums are on the club i am apart of.

What a BEAUTY!!
What do you think is the minimum lighting I would need in a 75gallon, 4 ft by 18" tank? I want to stay away from MH's if possible. Like I said..LFS recommended orbits 4 x 65 for soft corals..
thanks