Can I put Melafix straight into the aquarium?

wingzfan

Seemingly overnight, one of my clowns has ragged fins, erratic breathing, and some crap on his eyes and face. I'm not gonna add it to the tank because he's being picked on by all the other fish. I don' have a QT yet (I know, I know...
) so I'm setting up a QT in a 5 gallon bucket to treat it there. Thanks for your quick response!!

sepulatian

That is why I was asking. Melafix will not help in that situation. Set up the QT with water from your display and a piece of rock. If this is a bucket then it will be hard to monitor him. You will need a heater and a small power head or HOB filter (both is preferred). A ten gallon tank is about $15. Please get one tomorrow. The next thing to figure out is why they are all picking on him. How big is he? What all is in the display?

dfabrikant

Originally Posted by wingzfan
http:///forum/post/2693335
W/ out effecting the inverts. Anyone know?
I just recently used it, I have crabs, starfish, urchin inverts...you need to turn the skimmer off an take out any carbon in the filter(it will absorb it and be useless), be careful if you use it and monitor the fish because after 3-4 days of treatment you may notice them gasping for air, this is when I did a 25% water change, after the first sign, well first I did a 25% water change then started treatment then did 25% every week for 3 weeks. Only treated for 5 days I dont know exactly how long it takes to come out of the water but you can smell it and after the change, putting the carbon back and 1 weeks time, I didnt smell it in the water anymore...everyone said the room smelled like a hospital, lol the first week...But I was happy to be able to use a treatment without removing anything, wish they made more products like this

sepulatian

If it worked after a week then whatever it was could have been treated without it. You could have asked us. We would have been more than happy to help you out