Can I scrape algae off of my glass

hnf2k

a little over a week ago i noticed that i had pods crawling around on my glass. i also noticed that i have a lot of algae starting to build up on my glass. can i scrape the algae off or will i kill the pods? should i throw more snails in instead to help rid the algae problem?

jim672

HNF2K,
You can do both. If you have sufficient algea to feed them, you can easily triple or quadruple your snail population. Some sources indicate one snail per gallon, assuming enough food for them, is okay. You can also clean the glass. Be careful what you use so you don't scratch the glass though.
Jim

almarktool

Hnf2k,
if i were u, do a little cleaning not too much, leave plenty of food for your snails i would not buy anymore snails at this time since i know u are using tap water, and are waiting on your ro/di unit to be setup which will help in cutting down on your alge growth,

hnf2k

i think you both misunderstood me...when i mean that i would kill them, i didnt mean by starving them, i meant by squashing them with the scraper. i have plenty of algae for them to eat, but i dont want to squash them trying to clean my tank.

surfnturf

I think you are pretty safe scraping the glass, they will swim away to avoid the scraper. BTW if you see hundreds, you have thousands and they multiply like rabbits, so no worries.