Can I support an anenome?

ryno_mn

I have a 29g tank, with 30lbs live sand and 40lbs live rock all water parameters are spot on, I have 2x65 pc, I was wondering if I have enough lighting to have an anenome. If so what type would you recommend. I have 2 false percs as fish only. Thank you.

zeke92

um, i'm not very good with anemones, but i think if you do often water changes it may be fine. for a false perc (what i got too) carpet anemones are very popular and in the wild there natural host, but bubble anemones work to i think.

ryno_mn

zeke, why would you even offer your advice??? your opening statement was" um, i'm not very good with anemones, but i think if you do often water changes it may be fine. for a false perc (what i got too) carpet anemones are very popular and in the wild there natural host, but bubble anemones work to i think." Why in the world would I even consider taking your advice. I didn't ask this question to go out and spend $30+ on an animal that I would end up eventually killing. IMO you should not post any advice unless you have substantial data supporting your claim. Please do everyone a favor and only offer advice on what you know for certain. Thankfully I will not take your advice and seek others opinions before making this decision.

michaeltx

honestly most anemones need alot more light than what you can offer at this time. will they live under that yeah they can but really dont do to well.
also how old is the tank they need pristine and very stable water conditions to survive long term. also just as a FYI the clowns dont need an anemone to survive so if thats your reason for wanting one you dont have to have one for them.
the only exception might be the rose bubble tip anemones for some reason alot of people have had good luck keeping them in abit lower light and them thriveing just try to find a tank raised clone. a down side they can be very pricey and you need one atleast double the size of the clowns or they can kill it.
HTH
Mike

perfectdark

As an add to the above...even though the BTA's survival rates under PC's are better than most other anemones, there havent been any recorded instances where they survived longer than 3 years under that type of lighting. And most perish within a year. Ultimately high intensity T-5's VHO's or MH lighting is essential and their survival rate increases dramatically.

ryno_mn

Thank you very much for your input. My wife was kind of wanting one and I told her I'm not going to put anything in my tank that I can not support. So I will not get one. Thank you again.

S

smartorl

WHat about a tube anemone. They do not require light, in fact they can be damaged by really good lighting. They are very colorful but are masters at getting into intakes so make sure all are protected before you get the anemone. They are filter feeders and really open up well in a tank with alot of flow. Here the orange ones and the purples are pretty easy to get and after seeing them first hand, they are some of my favorites.
As far as looking for an anemone for your clowns to host, it would be hit or miss, some will and some won't even with an anemone that they are "supposed" to host.
You may want to keep in mind that there are alot of kids and newbies here on the forum that just want to help. I am sure that Zeke was only trying to offer a little insight. I would much rather see someone come forward and tell you that they are not an expert than someone who represents themself as one, which does happen quite a bit.

ryno_mn

smartori, i was just reading on this site and another and they both state "Lighting: Has strong lighting needs.Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae are hosted within this organism." Or does that mean it needs more than a flourescent light or needs better lights than I have?

perfectdark

Actually if you read that.. its wrong. Tube anemones are not photosynthetic and are primarily nocturnal. During the day it would be very possible to believe that your animal up and left its spot. In fact its right where it was last time you saw it but its buried deep in the sand bed.
Its recomended that you have a deep sand bed to make one of these animals happy. If not a PVC pipe filled with sand standing on end and the animal buried in it up to its base. This will allow the tube anemones tube to extend down as far as it wants. They are like all anemones to be considered preditory to an extent. They will capitalize on a stray fish should it wander to close to it. Its stings are proven to be the least potent of all anemones. And as an aside they are not really anemones, they are cerianthids a differnt species altogether. Very colorful addition to a reef, I love mine.

ryno_mn

Thanks perfect, i read on here about the lighting, I guess I need to do alot more research on these creatures and perhaps one day I will have one.

nycbob

why dont u invest in a t-5 for ur 29 gallon? it should run u about $100-120. ur livestock options will expand greatly once i hv vho lighting.

ryno_mn

well if I did that my wife would shoot me. I just upgraded from flourescent to the dual satellite by current. 2x65, 10000k and dual actinic. I like my life so far and don't want lights to end it.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by KJohansen
The clowns will host in a Hammer coral too!!

Thats a great way to kill your hammer.

petjunkie

You might be able to pull off a rock anemone with that lighting but it's not a hosting anemone. Clownfish will sometime host in toadstool leathers, hairy mushrooms, frogspawn/hammers, gsp even but some will never host either way. Just some ideas of corals that would do well under your lighting, hope this helps.

dawman

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
Do you ever have anything nice to say ? Many clowns accept many different corals including hammers . If the coral is bigger[as KJohansen`s is] it is very unlikely it will kill the coral .

perfectdark

Originally Posted by TangWhispr

Weather it is or it isnt what choice is there it isnt like it was a planned thing. To have the clown host the hammer, how could anyone forsee this. You could have 4 anemones in the tank and the fish could very well still choose a coral to host. Kind of a pointless remark IMO.