Can I take shroom off rock and place it on new one?

stapler

I got a rock with about 6 hairy mushrooms on it, but its on a really ugly cut rock. Im trying to find a good way to position it, but would rather take the mushrooms off and place them on one of my other rocks.
I also thought about taking a chisel and hammer and breaking the rock into a few pieces...would this be a good idea?
Any advice with your experiences would be great.

poprfd

I would try to break pieces of the rock off but what i did once by total accident i had move a rock with a mushroom ont and it tore of another piece it was attached to and it also grew very well there

stapler

Yeah I think I am going to try to break the rock into a few pieces....spread them around my tank.

poprfd

That would be your best bet dont be afraid espeacialy if you want to get rid of that rock anyway shrooms can go through alot its almost like you cant kill them

diddley

cut it off with a sharp razor blade as close to the base as you can. place that cutting on the desired rock and place nylon netting over it relatively tightly with a rubber band for a couple of days. it will attach to that rock and the old cut shroom will regenerate on the original rock. no problem.

stapler

Sweet...I will try it with one of the mushrooms first to make sure it works out.
If I remember correctly, I should remove the rock out of the tank into a bowl and do the cut there. Nasty liquids come out of them...right?

jlem

Any slime should be removed by your protein skimmer if you have one. It is much easier to cut them if you leave them in the tank and they are extended

beachbumtx

Originally posted by diddley
yeah, go ahead and take it out of the tank. it creates some slime, but i don't think it's harmful.

When cutting mushrooms, do it outside of the tank. The blood or slime like substance is harmful to other organisms in the tank. Make sure you rinse off the frag with saltwater before placing back into the tank.
I know zooanthids can also be harmful and same steps should be taken. Make sure you wash your hands off after handling mushrooms and zooanthids.

jlem

If you make a quick clean cut there should not be much slime. Once you move that rock out of the tank the mushrooms will close up really quick and then you won't be able to cut them. You will have to saw them which will produce alot more waste even after the rock is put back into the tank than a clean quick cut.

stapler

Hmm....2 different opinions, and I understand both of your points. I think I am going to take the rock out, put it in a bucket of water, and use a chisel and hammer and just break the rock into a few small pieces.
Dont want to kill the shrooms, but they only cost me 15 bucks.

dhraako

don't hold me to this..but it would be neet to try
I heard if you actually blend a shroom (stick it into a blender and turn it on) and them poor the new substance in the water...shrooms will blossom all over the tank
it would be neet to try..if only I had a blender

stapler

That would interesting to know if that worked. I ended up just breaking the rock up into numerous pieces and spreaded the mushrooms around.
That would be one stinky smoothie!:yes:

jlem

Originally posted by dhraako
I heard if you actually blend a shroom (stick it into a blender and turn it on) and them poor the new substance in the water...shrooms will blossom all over the tank

I know that this works with sponges.