can I use a stone like this to frag zoa's??

dreamer44

lets hope this link works
thank you
Lori
link didn't work....i used the "attach files" box.....lets see if this works...
again, thanks

trippkid

No, I have seen many different ways, that would definitely not be one of them. You want to use live rock rubble, frag plugs,discs, have also seen plastic golf t's, inert plastic plugs, nylon bolts, etc. I can't say it would definitely do harm, I guess it depends on what the rock actually is, but I personally would use something different. Saltwater is pretty corrosive, so if starts "eating" away at the stone, it may release unwanted minerals into the water???.

Matt

dreamer44

its a river stone,
I was wondering about it, because I heard that if you glue frags to a smooth stone, its easier to peel the matt of the zoa's off of it (when its big enough)
if I cant use that, what smooth type of item can I use?
I want to try to grow a few zoa's with a large enough matt to get a good sized frag to put in my tank on my live rock...
would love everyones opinion! :)
thanks,
Lori

trippkid

I would just use some LR rubble, then glue or wedge rock in place and they will spread in time.

reefkprz

the problem with the "river stones" is this, granite one of the primary rocks for finding quartz in, leaches Arsenic into water, Pure quartz is inert (99% non-soluble in water) but the minerals that surround the quartz can be very deadly to marine life. any reds in stone usually indicate non-chelated Iron (very dangerous in aquaria). greens can indcate tons of minerals including the ever deadly copper. There is any mix of minerals that while fairly harmless in a free flowing riverbed may devastate you marine tank or just cause an unsightly algal bloom, or not even that much, just occasionaly kill something here or there, or in the case of arsenic with good water changes all you might ever notice is that your biological cant keep up with your ammonia because arsenic will kill your biological bacteria, and on, and on..... chances are you may never expirience any problems if you put those in your tank, BUT you could also never stop haveing trouble. its not worth the risk,
if you want something smooth to put corals on for propagating use WHITE marble, (mostly calcium carbonate) I must stress the importance of using only white marble colored marble is colored from mineral deposites in the stone, this is/can be very bad.

kidreef

i had an idea some one tell me if i am rong would the smoothest lightest and easiest material to obtain be glass and its tank safe y dont ppl use that?

ric maniac

i tried using the same type of rock and the coral stayed attached for about 3 days and then it fell off.

renogaw

Originally Posted by ric maniac
i tried using the same type of rock and the coral stayed attached for about 3 days and then it fell off.
totally dependant on the coral... a lot of times corals don't like being glued, and those skin cells that are glued die off and the corals shed them. they slide off with new skin cells, leaving the dead ones attached to the glue for the hermits to eat.

renogaw

Originally Posted by kidreef
i had an idea some one tell me if i am rong would the smoothest lightest and easiest material to obtain be glass and its tank safe y dont ppl use that?

sharp edges...

larryndana

anything plastic would work.
i'm looking at a plastic cup now, cut the sides down really low. you could turn it upside down or right side up....wouldn't matter.

dreamer44

thank you reefkprZ, for taking the time to explain that to me. I can understand how it could really mess up my tank now. I wont be using them,
and
thanks everyone else for the suggestions, I will keep them all in mind.
I guess I could always use a small tile square too, like the ones people use for their gold fish to spawn on now that im thinking about it.....or terra cotta pot, tiny ones.
will let you know how it goes when I decide to do it.
thanks again
Lori

renogaw

just remember, anything you put into your tank is going to leach something into it. make sure whatever you use specifically says for marine or saltwater tanks.
I deal with a manufacturer of cultured marble. next time i go to pickup a countertop i was planning on seeing if they had any broken pieces, want me to look for some for you as well?
btw, the rubble rock is probably the best way of going about doing frags. i usually ship mine on some. can go to the LFS and get a piece of base rock for like $5 and smash it up.

dreamer44

my husband wants to get me some more lr, he keeps on talking about it, maybe I'l find a nice long flat piece....
thanks ren, I know you guys are right...I will follow your advice.

Lori

maxalmon

Glass or plexi would work, honestly just about anything can be used as long as it doesn't leach something lethal into your system.
The real question is "what are the corals going to be happier growing on" Just a theory, but anything thats got a smooth calcium base would seem to be the most logical choice as it almost mimics a substrate that could be found in the wild, just not smooth and perfectly square. The next best material would be glass, plexi etc. The only reason I say this is if your going to be scrapping them off for fragging onto LR rubble etc...

reefkprz

I just chopped up about 2 Lbs of marble into mini slabs today. made enough little rectangles to perfectly cover my shelf in my tank and my shelf in my frag tank with zoa frags. monday I am going to frag up a bunch of stuff with the tile saw and see if my friend will let me use their computer to upload the pics. oh yeah cant wait.