Can I use beach sand?

shiby1510

No it passes the fizz test.... anyways please don't talk about how bad silica is if you don't understand it fully...
hm.. lets think... oh yeah your glass tank has silcates in it!

cmack

Originally Posted by shiby1510
cmack look at walmart... no seriously do it! It's hard to believe but that is where I found my oldcastle sand... southdown was overtaken... I think by oldcastle or something like that... anyways walmart sells this sand called garden basics and if you look in the bottom corner it says made by oldcastle for walmart.... good luck!! :joy:

Wallmart doesn't have it here, and I'd rather not put any silicates in my tank. I had enough diatom problems in my last tank.
Anyone else know where to find southdown or the others in south east florida?

bret61081

How much do you need? There is a LFS that sells the live sand for 17$ for 20 lps....live sand is better anywayz...

snipe

live sand and base sand have no diffrence except that live sand has bacteria now if your buying premium live sand mostlikely $1.00+ per pound it will have little creatures as well as bacteria.
Pensky you visit the other site also that is a good place to start.

fishnerd

Is everyone forgetting that Daytona is too far north??? The sand there is quartz silica, not aragonite. You could go to Palm Beach County, outside the second reef line, and get sand, but thats 60 feet of water.
The only place in Florida with "true aragonite sand" is the Lower Keys, south of Big Pine, and it is illegal to collect sand in Monroe County. It is considered dredging.
BTW, anyone selling "FL Keys live sand" is lying, as the gov't would have shut down a commercial operation as soon as it started. Many dealers offer "Keys Sand" but its not from "The Keys".

ghoti

I am a diver in SW Fla, No problem getting to anything < 90 feet for me.
What would be the best place to harvest my own live sand (LR isn't an option, not legal to harvest) ??
I have dived Jupiter reefs - 85' and all through the Lower Keys. Haven't done much Gulf diving, no viz...
I fugure a few 5 gal buckets and a good rope will be ok for harvesting.. :)

fishnerd

I am not familiar with the Gulf's aquascape.
Broward and Dade, between the 2nd and 3rd reef lines will supply viable sand in 40-60 feet of water. I know you know, but don't use your BC to help lift a bucket of sand... just in case you drop it.
It is ILLEGAL to harvest/collect/dredge sand in Monroe. 1 bucket shouldn't be a problem, but we have all had fun with the FWC, so I'm sure you get the idea.
I used to be a commercial collector in the lower Keys, and lots of dealers wanted to buy sand, but it was a risk to my ML (marinelife endorsement) so I wouldn't sell it.

ghoti

I know a few Gulf divers, I'll ask them what the lay of the sand looks like.. I seem to remember it being relatively silty... But that may just have been a bad bank from a renourishment.