can i use regular fluorescent for my 90 gallon aquarium??

rainfishy

Lighting is one of the most important things IMO, especially for a reef tank. You can do all kinds of searches on this site to get all kinds of info on different lighting.

dogstar

A " regular fluorescent light " like a 40 watt 4 ft. shop light or ceiling fluoresent light is fine for fish only tank. Would look crapy over a tank unless you custom build/mount it in a hood ect. The white bulb may not suit your taste so the flouresent bulbs that they sell at any LFS will work and give you a choice of colors. If you retro fit one in a hood just make sure the connections are safe from water splashing and keep an eye out for rusting parts. Fish dont really care about what kind of light there is as long as the something so they have a day and a night. Reefs are when you need special lights mainly because of corals need for special lights.

ou_snr_fn

i am new to all this but i thought i would share my experiance. well i took a 4 ft 4 bulb fixture that was for a 4x40 watt setup took the ballast out of it and bought 2 110 watt high output ballast and put in the 4ft housing wired them to the diagram on the new ballast and added vho's in it and mounted the whole thing under my canopy not sure if it is putting out the same light as a fixture made for vho's :notsure: but seems to be working ps. a buddy of mine told me bout this and said this is what he is running and corals and live rock are doing fine i had to go with four bulbs to get the min. 4 watts a gal on my 90 gal tank not sure if it helps but good luck