Can I use this kinds of water for my reef tank?

sign guy

you need to test it and make sure dose it have clorine in it? what is its tds reading? that kind of stuf

dogstar

I would not, that water would still have minerals in it from whatever it picks up while running thru the ground.
Always best to use RO/DI water as a source for SW aquariums. If you want whats best.

darric

If you're going to use bottled water in your tank get distilled water. At least you know it has nothing in it.

sign guy

just read through there site. 1 they add ozone not that harmful and in some situations good for aquairums. but they dont note how much they add. second they comment on ro and tds saying ro is prosseced and there water is natural there no ro is needed(scary) second they add that some tds is good for minirals and taste. true but thats not what we want in aquariums. Id get the real stuf

alix2.0

Originally Posted by darric
If you're going to use bottled water in your tank get distilled water. At least you know it has nothing in it.
it can have copper in it.

darric

Originally Posted by alix2.0
it can have copper in it.

How? The water is boiled and the steam condenses into a collection container leaving the minerals and metals in the original container. I guess it's possible that cross contamination from piping could occur. But the spring water has not had the minerals and metals removed, so whatever was there in nature is there now. Either way I personally wouldn't put either into my tank.

alix2.0

actually i was... water distilled in copper tubes can contain copper, which is bad for inverts. water distilled in glass tubes is fine, but a lot of the time you dont know, so why risk it?

darric

Originally Posted by alix2.0
a lot of the time you dont know, so why risk it?
One more reason NOT to use bottled water (or tap).

ninjamini

The answer is no. Spring water has lots of stuff in in that makes it taste good to us. Bad for our fish.
If you use this then in 3-5 months your next post will read:
"Please HELP - I cant get rid of hair algae"

emm0909

True on the hair algae. I personally dump tap water straight into my tank. I am right near the great lakes though.

bambam_250r

Just a thought, before I got an ro/di system for my house I used those water purifiers out in front of the stores. Like Glacier or something. According to the info, they go through 6 stages of clarifications, sediment, carbon, ro, di, carbon and uv sterilization. It was only $0.25 per gallon.