Can I use this knife underwater?

flower

You can use metal in fish tanks, but you can't leave anything metal in a tank, it will corrode.
The salt will also ruin metal, but To do your frag it won't hurt anything. Afterwards rinse off the saltwater and dry your knife.

flower

I read something kind of disturbing about Zoas last night...the artical said that zoas have a poison that if you work with them and get it on a cut you could get real sick. If you touch your face or eyes after working with them too.
So maybe you should ware gloves. If they release a toxin they sure will do it when you try and frag them.
It was an article from a scientist that was an expert on Zoas, so I think it was something to be trusted for information. So I thought I would pass it on.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3004634
You can use metal in fish tanks, but you can't leave anything metal in a tank, it will corrode.
The salt will also ruin metal, but To do your frag it won't hurt anything. Afterwards rinse off the saltwater and dry your knife.
I'm not expert, but that's what I as thinking. I doubt it would hurt your water. If you can, take the coral and frag it in tupperware or something...that way your knife never reaches the DT. In any case, rinse it under freshwater to get all the corroding salt off and take the blade out and rinse that really well too. Don't forget to dry it.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3004647
I read something kind of disturbing about Zoas last night...the artical said that zoas have a poison that if you work with them and get it on a cut you could get real sick. If you touch your face or eyes after working with them too.
So maybe you should ware gloves. If they release a toxin they sure will do it when you try and frag them.
It was an article from a scientist that was an expert on Zoas, so I think it was something to be trusted for information. So I thought I would pass it on.
WEAR GLOVES and afterward wash your hands. This is called palytoxin. It causes numbness, sickness, hallucinations, and even death. Doctors won't be able to diagnose this in most cases either...so WEAR GLOVES!!!!

txfishman

palytoxin is one of the most dangerous of all toxins. Be carefull when fraging!
As far as the knife, yes you will be fine.

vishnuborg

+1
. I'm always warning people about palytoxin, which is an an organic compound released in the stress slime of zoas. That is why you always frag zoas out of the water. If you don't take my word for it, go ask reefkprz. Palytoxin is the most dangerous organic toxin know to science, and is host to bacteria. On top of poison, you could get a bacterial infection. Zoa fragging is always done out of the water with gloves. After fragging the coral will exude high levels of palytoxin in its stress coat. you must remove this by pointing a power head at it in a separate tub, and make sure none of this gets in the tank, as it damages other corals and fish.

vishnuborg

P.S. Do all of you want to kill her? She could die of poisoning coupled with palytoxins! And don't ruin your tank. Zoa fragging should always be done out of the water.

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3005993
I believe this toxin is not contained in every zoa, but still be careful
+ 1 No one seems to know which zoas have it so it's best to be carefully with each one. I have also read that you should wear eyewear in case it squirts when you frag it.

naclh2o nut

I read somewhere that it can not penetrate healthy skin, but cuts and openings, eyes, mouth... this can be points to watch. The LFS frag a zoa one day and had a cut, he remembered the cut very quickly. It must burn a little then goes numb. He put everything back and next time seen him with gloves.