Can Maroon and Percula clowns Breed?

erhodejr

I recently added two Maroon Perculas to my tank that already had 2 percula clowns, Now I have one of each side by side like they're mating, Is it possible for them to breed? if so what would I need to sucessfully breed them? Anyone that could help is greatly appreciated.

ecook

Actually, they can. Its not common but it can happen....and like he said, watch out for aggression from the maroon injuring the percula. You should only put two clowns in a tank unless its more than a 6 ft tank, and ideally they would be the same species.

erhodejr

I have been observing them and they are "swimming" together like they are breeding, (touching side by side and fanning their tails.)
I only put them together because when I purchased them I was told they would do fine together.

g13

I went to a LFS once and seen 2 maroon clowns for sale. The stripes looked white but the clowns were small so I had heard the gold color comes in time. So I asked the guy if they were gold stripe or regular maroon clowns because he had them posted as percula clowns. He told me he wasn't sure what type of clowns they were because it was maroon in color with white stripes but not the regular white stripes that maroons have, they were the thick curvy white bands that perculas have. I was in shock because I didn't even notice the percula stripes on the fish.
I should have purchased those 2 clowns but that was before I got my black and white percs.
I don't think that answers your questions but I know what they would like like if they did breed.

viper_930

It is possible that they can. Just like two different breeds of dogs breeding to produce a mut. My LFS had a cross between a pink skunk clown and a saddleback clown not too long ago.