Can skimmer sit in refugium

nytrillium

yes, but you really shouldnt put skimmed water into the fuge, it defeats the whole purpose of having a fuge. If you wanted, you could put the skimmer at the outlet and drain it into a sump and then pump from the sump to the DT. But if your goinna do that you could just put the skimmer in hte sump.
Anyway, yes you can do it, but no its not the best plan.

dogstar

Originally Posted by NYTrillium
yes, but you really shouldnt put skimmed water into the fuge, it defeats the whole purpose of having a fuge. .
:notsure:
Its ok to place the unit in the sump area but IMO the source water should come from the drain area ( dirty water ) and it can drain from the skimmer into the fuge as long as it does not wash sand around or to the return chamber as long as that does not cause bubbles.
My skimmer sits in the fuge area on a shelf and the pump is in the drain chamber with the hose going thru a hole in the baffle and drains into the fuge.

nytrillium

I think it defets the purpose because the skimmer removes the organics that creatures in your fuge are supposed to be eating. coepods, amphipods, etc. By skimming before, you limit their food, thus limiting their population, if you skim after, you let them eat their fill, and filter out the excess. Granted it probably only makes a little difference but thats just what i have read and it makes sense to me.