Can someone help with wiring a MH fixture,,just for test?

sheree

I got this MH unit at work..they were going to throw it out. Its clearly rated for 400 watt...M59 bulb...but it has 4 voltages listed on label...and 5 wires coming out of the fixture. Each wire has the voltage stamped on it. One is stamped "COM"..and the other 4 are stamped 120 208 240 277 . It looks as tho the 240 and COM were used (stripped on end)..others capped off. The ground is stripped too. My question is...I want to test this fixture to see if its worth "fixing up"..so...IF its wired using the 240 volt wire...does that mean I test it in a 220 plug like my stove or dryer use? And is it possible to use the 120 volt and test in regular 110 house current? Does the ballast get "set" for a certain voltage?
Your right...I have NO idea what I`m doin.:(
Anyone know about these things and can help?
Will attach pics if needed.

djessem

ok.........im familiar with that............. the wire marked 120 is the wire you want. The others coming out are of no conscern to you.
The 120 is the hot and the com is the equivalent to the white wire on the power source. The others are use to wire the socket..........i think they say com and something else similar to that . They both go to the socket. There should be a cylinder sized capacitor also that need to be inline before the socket. try that.

sheree

Why would the 120 be capped off from previous use then? They had used the 240....grrrr..dont wanna blow out a $30 MH bulb..
anyone???

djessem

I cant answer why the previouis user chose to use 240 instead of 20. All i can tell you is that I have wired that unit b4 and use the 120.

zippy

You got this from a workplace/industrial site. They usually wire for 220 volt applications. Residential applications use 120 volts almost exclusively, except for dryers and other high draw appliances.

reefnut

The 240v would be better to use because it would save on the electric bill. It is quite common. Just change it to 120v.

sheree

So....I wire my cord onto the 240 and the Com.. then plug it into which voltage houseplug, 220...or110??
Sorry for needing detailed info..just hate messin with "~~volts~~". :rolleyes:

tunze

Originally posted by Sheree
So....I wire my cord onto the 240 and the Com.. then plug it into which voltage houseplug, 220...or110??

120v and the common .....and you should be able to use a regular outlet . Zippy pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why they were using 240v before. Post a pic of the ballast and the wiring diagram that should be on the top..
Also what kinda MH are you using that only cost 30 bucks?

sheree

ok...I had a M-57 bulb I tried in the fixture using the 240,,and Com. The bulb lit...glowed about 30 seconds and went out. I guess the ballast may not be good..or because I didnt use a M-59 bulb. Hmmmm
I hate to throw out stuff that may work.
The ballast is attached to the bulb socket...this was warehouse lighting...heres a pic. IF this unit worked, I was gonna rewire the ballast to be sepperate from the bulb socket so the ballast wouldnt be over any tank.

zippy

How long did you leave the bulb on? I have had new bulbs sometimes take 5 or 6 times to finally ignite and stay on. It improves with age, but may just take a little time, like 10 minutes or so.

lurch694u

Here is a picture I found on how to wire two advance MH ballasts. I don't know much about wiring so maybe this will help.