can someone help

angie118

I have a dog face puffer which I love dearly.But he is in this big tank all by himself I was wondering, I want to get another puffer a baby like he is and I want to know which puffer goes good with the dog face.

I know that when pufferlover sees this he will jump on in. I would suggest maybe a snowflake eel or another type of aggressive fish. I can tell you the one puffer that I WOULD NOT put in that tank is a porcupine puffer. I have tried this and failed. The porc is a more aggressive EATER and the dog face , imo, is a more aggressive FISH. So what happens here is the porc will go after any and every piece of food (as they are serious pigs) with no regard for an approaching dogface or anyother fish,and then the two will take nice chunks out of eachother. When these fish get larger and share a tank , more often than not, they will develop a serious disliking for eachother and usually the dogface will win the war. IMO, keep him by himself or another type of aggressive and the both of you will be happier for it. When you say a large tank I am hoping we are talking in excess of 100 gal.

pufferlover

I'd like to jump in but Saltwater has said it all. The only way I have ever got 2 Porks together was by buying them as babies and within a week they were in same tank, Got lucky they turned out to be a male and a female. Dogfaces are downright nasty towards Porks and most Porks are scared of Dogfaces. Now if you look closely at a larger Dogface note the teeth (they use them for eating little things like clams and snails by crushing the shells) The Porks teeth are more hidden if you look you really cannot see them but they are there under the smiling lips. I agree a Eel would work well. A lion I honestly don't have that expertise to tell you (I am sure Lionfish will when he sees this post). My BIG Dogface lives alone because at 15" he has eaten every tankmate I ever tried for it. Now my 2 Porks finally have a couple of friends in their 125 and it is working well (they were pretty much alone their first 6 years). I have added a Rock Beauty Angel (sub-adult right now) in October and recently found a beautiful Diana's Hogfish and added it. The Porks seem not to care and do not bother the other two at all. I have had smaller Dogfaces in with small snowflakes and a larger Maroon Clown and even a Banana (4 spot) Wrasse) with no problems but the Puffer was just a small one. Currently have a Stars and Stripes Puffer in one of my grow out tanks and it is darling little baby (I use the word grow out tank because I am saying I don't have room elsewhere yet so it gets its own tank for awhile).

pufferlover

By the way Saltwater Marauder I love your saying at the bottom it is the best I've seen yet. Wanted to PM you but it is not working right at the moment so did it here.

angie118

I just bought a baby stars and stripes it has green eyes and it blinks at me it is adorable and my dog face goes his seperate way they are both still young.will know more later on this week, keep you posted on how they get along.

coconuttelegraph

Honestly, i don't know too much about the temperment of the stars and stripes puffer, but the dogface can be rather territorial. Considering that both puffers are in the same genus (Arothron) i would assume that they both will exhibit somewhat similar demeanors. Keeping these two together without problems may or may not work out. However agressivness will vary depending on the individual. Generally if you get them both young, and one hasn't had a substantial amount of time to call the tank his own, your chances of keeping them together peacefully may be increased. Unfortunately this isn't always true.
If you have some extra space and cash, you might want to consider getting a smaller tank and keep it filled and ready. I have a 65 gallon that i call my "Just incase" tank. It has about 50lbs LR, some hermets, and some astrea snails. I set this up when my naso tang decided that Tridacna clams were rather tasty, and had to be removed from my reef. The worst part about having an extra tank is that your will power will be tested every time you go into a LFS and see a new fish that you "can't possibly live without" at least this is the case with me. :)
Anyways, good luck with your new puffer! and let us know how things go!

Pufferlover, Thanks, Ya know my PM feature isnt working either, tells me it is for "board leaders only" when I try to send one.
Coconut,
Both of my puffers were babies when I got them but, and this happened with three different sets of porcs and dogfaces in three different tanks, when they get larger they will compete for both food and territory. It can be done but it is a hassle for both aquarist and fish. Like I said, the porc. , IME, is a more aggresive eater and the dogface is a more aggressive fish. The eating can problem can be helped somewhat by attempting to feed the fish on seperate sides of the tank but far too often the porc will spot the food and jam right infront of the dog, and in turn get bitten. I have noticed that the larger the two species get the more they tend to not like eachother very much. When they are both babies it works out but really its a time bomb waiting to go off....it's just a matter of when. Also, being that both of these fish have toxins in their flesh, constantly biting eachother will eventually lead to more than scars.....the dog face can really do some damage with that beak. IMO, dont do it.
Hey Pufferlover,
I would love to see that stars and stripes. I am thinking about picking up another tank just to get one......awesome fish, my lfs has a huge one in their aggressive display tank but he's NFS, which is fine cause I would want a youngster anyhow, but he's a bute to look at.
[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: Saltwater Marauder ]

coconuttelegraph

Saltwater Marauder,
Yikes, i'm not sure if you got the idea that i was going to keep a porcupine (or any other puffer for that matter) in with my dogface. But, no, the dogface is going to stay the single resident of his 260g. While i do have room to add some other fish, i am not going to. From the beginning, my intentions were to keep him alone.
Which brings me to the other part of my post
Angie118,
I was probably unclear about the intentions of my last post. While keeping two puffers together has been done sucessfully, I really don't recommend it (as you can see what can happen from Saltwater Marauder's and Pufferlover's posts) I was just trying to recommend (since you already have them together) having an extra tank on hand incase they start getting agressive towards eachother.
I hope i don't sound discouraging, i'm just trying to help you to avoid some potentially serious problems :)

angie118

I made a mistake it is a striped baby puffer it is no more than 5 inches long and real shy. My dog face is a 1/2 inch bigger and hides all the time. so with both shy maybe it can work out for a while. I do have a extra tank set up for emergencies. I already am prepared if it don't work out. But for right now no problems.

Coconut,
No I didnt think that was your plan, I was replying to your post with an example of what can happen for the benefit of angie118. I wasnt challenging your theory but rather debating whether it can or should be done. I have seen all your other posts and I think we are on the same page when it comes to puffers along with pufferlover. I knew your intentions were to keep that puffer alone based on your past posts
You definiteley have plenty of room for other aggressives, like you said. That has got to be one happy puffer in a 260, I would love to see your tank, do you have any pics? even if you dont have a site and cant post them here you could email them to me.

coconuttelegraph

SaltwaterMarauder,
I am new to keeping agressive marine fish. The new puffer is my first. I know that making mistakes is probably inevitable, and the last thing that i would want to do is pass these mistakes on to others. So, please feel free to correct anything that i say that you feel is wrong. If i sounded offended or anything in my last post, that wasn't the case... just wanted to clear that up...

Clear as day, Everyone, myself especially is here to learn, and for what its worth, didnt see you passing on any mistakes, in fact you are one of the people I have seen here that is taking it slow and researching everything which is great to see, not to mention the fact that you are conscious enough to keep that puffer in a 260. ever thought about an eel for the tank? I think a snowflake and your dogface would work well, especially in a tank that size. On the offended part, I didnt think you were but posted that just incase, it is harder to get a feel for someones general attitude and demeanor when you read a post as opposed to talking to them and I did not want to sound aggressive in my reply, its much easier when you can see someones body language and such when you are speaking with them becasue reading leaves the interpretation up to the reader. So, feel free to correct me anytime you see me posting incorrect info or making a mistake which happens to all of us, have a good one. BTW, I still would love to see that tank, if you have pics send em over to bthompson@inorbit.com , Aloha.

coconuttelegraph

As far as the pics go, i'll definately have to post some. I have final exams for the next two weeks, and probably won't be on the boards too much for that time. after exams are over i'll take some pics and do my best to get them online. Do you have any of your tanks? i'm always looking for ideas and love to see how well done systems are set up. As far as the eel goes, i may decide to add one in the future. probably not for a few months or so if i do at all. I have a ribbon eel in my reef whos been there for about 2 years and has never given me any troubles. (except for the first two weeks when he was reluctant to feed.) Feeding him about 2 hours after lights out solved this problem. I heard that water conditions had to be perfect, so i introduced him about 5 years after my reef was up and running. I do admit that i didn't do enough research about their needs before i brought him home. A mistake on my part that has worked out so far. He has never bothered any of my inverts or fish, and is a voracious eater. He has a spot in the LR that he calls home and i have not seen him move from it in over a year. If i do get an eel for the 260, it will probably be a snowflake, as they are among the hardiest and most mellow of the eels. And IMO one of the most beautiful too.

Cool, good luck with the finals. I am working on building a site soonwhere people can post their DYI projects and I can post pics of all the tanks the great people on this bb have. I also love the snowflake. Also thinking of turning my 75 gal. bowfront to reef and moving my puff and squirrel over to a 100. I want to build the 75 based on input from this site, like as far as stock and design. One person could say ooh, I want this coral and ooh I want this fish, etc and i would build it with progress pictures so it would be like everyone here built it together. The saltwaterfish.com fishtank. I would name everything after who the idea came from, like if Salty suggested a certain fish then that fish's name would be Mr. Salty, etc, If you suggested a certain fish or invert than it would be named Coconut. when I get my site up ill send you a link or when I get some good pics ill post it and email you.

pufferlover

In reference to the stars and stripes puffer I had wanted one for awhile but had no room for another Puffer and since I like to buy baby fish and raise them it had to have its own tank or at least a non aggressive small buddy. The one I got was a bit expensive I thought (about 25 bucks compared to what they sell for on the sites as small or even adults) but it was hand picked for me and delivered into my hands in the transport bag from the wholesaler here in Chgo. It has grown a bit in the 3 weeks I have had it and it is alone in a 20 Gallon tank for the moment since it is only about a inch and a half long. I agree that the 4 extra tanks I have set up for qt and hospital are now full of fish again (it is a curse of this hobby that you always buy more then you can handle - at least I have). Will try to get picture of it when I can get my friend over with his digital camera.