Can someone ID this shark

sharkguy1

It looks like a just hatched white spotted bamboo. Or it might be a juvenile zebra shark. Its probly the bamboo.

jas_zone

I believe it is a young white spotted bamboo . Mine looks very similar. Great shark. Isn't it cool the way they prop up on the front fins when they eat.
"This white spotted bamboo mother shark gave birth at the Detroit Zoological Institute. The birth surprised researchers, as the mother had not been in contact with a male shark for six years" (copied from google search)
white spotted bamboo
(Chiloscyllium plagiosum)
Jason

requiem

Sorry that was a horn shark that gave virgin birth.
I work with some one from the Detroit Zoo at the Toledo zoo we have worked together for one year now.
Ps we are trying to do this with our horn shark that we have. The shark that we have laid eggs assumed to be infertile. The eggs were laid 7 weeks ago.

jas_zone

Req: did you mean that it was a horn shark that gave birth? or it was a horn shark in the pic? I am sure you know a lot more about sharks than I do as you seem to work with them, here is the link to the article that I got the info from, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rginshark.html
I could not confirm the virgin birth this article reviews any place else and I'd like to know more about the subject. my biology doesn't go past college but it seems that this shark is pretty evolved to be a/sexual.
J

I

irenicus

Very beautiful shark. Very sharp markings! :happy:
Will these marking last into adulthood?

sharkguy1

Not , really. They dont change like bannded cat shark a whole different color. He probly wont be as bright and get his white spots in. He will keeep the basic pattern.

gasguzzler

I also read a few weeks ago about it being a bamboo. I ran a search for breeding and all I got were those articles about it.

tarhull87

The shark in the first picture is a zebra shark,
[Link violation - out of respect for the owner and operator of this site, please do not post links to compeitors]

ophiura

Its not a zebra shark like those I know of....I agree, looks like a white spotted bamboo, albeit a pretty one :D I don't think a true zebra shark would cost $120?