Can someone please answer this question?

coralgyrl

Do I really the need the UV Sterilizer? My set-up: 75 Gallon, 4 mushrooms, 3 Florida Anemones, cleanup crew, CC, Protein skimmer, 120lb live rock, emp 300 for waterflow, 2 additional ph for extra waterflow, 6 Damsels and 2pcs of white coral and calupera algae. Tank has been setup for about 6.5 mos. I had a sterilizer since I set the aquarium up, and the bulb is now dead. I am going to make my aqaurium basically a reef tank only, with the exception of the 6 Damsels. Do I need the UV sterilizer or not! :eek:

reefj13

No, in reef tanks fish tend to be much healthier and do not need a sterilizer to fend of parasitic infections. I have seen many tanks without a sterilizer that have been running for over five years without one ich problem ;)

@knight

I think that is a matter of oppinion. I have heard both ways.
Burnspy, do you have a UV sterilizer on your tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, you don't need a UV. UV is always an optional piece of equiptment. Since your damsels are all that you have, and you don't plan on getting any other fish, the "need" for a sterilizer is not as great as if you were going to be adding additional fish.

bino_98

you shouldn't need a uv. they are prone to break down and unless you have an unlimited budget the benefits won't really outweigh the costs and frustration. as long as you keep your fish stock low, your water conditions high and are carful not to introduce any diseased animals into your tank you shouldn't have any problems

stalyun95

NO A UV STERALIZER IS NOT NEEDED AT ALL THEY ARE A WAIST OF CASH BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF WATER THAT HAS TO PASS THREW IT IN A CERTAIN TIME LIMIT......ALSO KILLS LOTS OF GOOD BACTERIA

burnnspy

I don't believe UV sterilizers necessary in a stable reef system.
Stress is a major cause of fish disease outbreak.
UV destroys plankton which is used by the reef as a food source also.
BurnNSpy