can someone please id this.

shaunda

I have several of these growing on my live rock. I assume it is some kind of sponge. Is it dangerous to my tank or should I just leave them alone.

A

alix

probably not a sponge because they cant be exposed to air which your rock probably has...

shaunda

they look like those koosh balls and I can't find anything about it. Do you think I should try to remove them?

A

alix

they look kinda cool... are they moving... like around the tank? id say if theyre staying in the same place and dont seem to be hurting anything, i would just leave them there... but if theyre like taking over or killing your fish take them out. until you can figure out for sure what it is i would just leave it there, it might turn out to be something you wish you'd kept.

shaunda

They stay in the same place and they grow. I have been watching this one for about a month now and it has doubled in size. They first start out as a white bump on the rock and then they start growing these spines. Wierd.

A

alix

hmm it reminded me of something but i couldnt think of what untill i just looked at the picture again. i thought if it was moving it could be an urchin. but i guess not...