Can the Damsel go back in?

prk543

I just added a new clown to my 20 gal tank, and after accumulating it, i released it into my tank with a damsel as the sole inhabitant. Upon realizing my mistake, and after several hours i managed to catch the damsel. My question is can i float the damsel in a bag over night in my tank until it looses its territory and the clown can get acclimated, or should I take the damsel back to the lfs after work tomorrow? flushing is not an option.

rcoultas

You do not need to do either - just having removed the damsel is step one - step two is to do a little re-decorating or moving some rock around - this serves to disorient a bit thus forcing them to claim new territory if they choose to do so. The damsels are typically aggressive but the clowns can hold their own so they may just work things out. Definitely try to move things around a little and re-introduce the damsel- GL

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rcoultas
You do not need to do either - just having removed the damsel is step one - step two is to do a little re-decorating or moving some rock around - this serves to disorient a bit thus forcing them to claim new territory if they choose to do so. The damsels are typically aggressive but the clowns can hold their own so they may just work things out. Definitely try to move things around a little and re-introduce the damsel- GL
I disagree. In a 20 gallon tank that damsel will pick at the clown until there is no tommorow...for the clown. Take him back to the lfs. A 20 gallon is a small space. I had two damsels in a 55 that would never leave any fish alone. You want only peaceful fish in that sized tank.

gmann1139

Prk -
How big is each fish, and what species?
Also, I echo what rcoultas says. Do an Extreme Tank Makeover and let the clown have the tank to himself for a few days.
That being said, some fish just have a bad attitude, and that damsel may have to go back.

prk543

The clown is a juvi, and the damsel was about an inch and a half. I just ended up taking the damsel back, I didn't want to run the risk of it killing the clown.
-prk543