yellow polyps
zoos
chili coral
distichopora purple

fishboy52

floresunt
if not which ones can i keep
i at least want
mushroom coral, chili coral, distichopora purple, sun coral and maybe a gorgonian
i have realy good flow
does any one have any good information/knowlege on chili coral or distichopora purple
I know that mushroom coral is easy coral and that gorgonians need alot of flow and phyankton and as for sun coral they must be feed every day either each polyp or place a bowl over them and let them filter feed (but what)
Am i right,...... i just want a simple tank with coral, that when people walk into my living room they say wow.
I have 10-15lb of lr and 14lb of ls
another queston can you make base rock out of any cement just as long as you cure it for a really really really long time?
Thanks

doglvr

Ok, the majority of reefkeepers will agree that keeping any type of live coral & some inverts require high lighting, and excellent water conditions, etc. I started with a 10gc, using the standard strip light with a 15watt Coralife 50/50. This tank had a 20-40 Wisper carbon filter as the only source of flow & filtration. I added 25 lbs of live rock, 15 lbs of live sand. I stocked the tank from the LFS's $5 tank, ie. bought 1 orange zoo, 1 small xenia, brown polyps, misc. mushrooms.
Everything survived, the zoo multiplied into 3, now have 4 xenias, mushrooms left babies, etc. My tank has a healthy growth of pink coraline too. To make up for the low lighting, the tank sat near a South window all summer & I placed the corals up high in the tank. Religious weekly RO water changes, supplementing with Kent Coral-vite.
However, now that all my livestock is in a 30gc with skimmer, proper lighting....I see a MAJOR difference & learned some lessons! While nothing died in the 10gc & even getting some babies, the corals, etc. were not thriving. The brown polyps
actually have very cool bright green centers with brown tips...never saw that green in the 10gc. The dull orange zoo's have popped & I can see them from across the room.
So, yes you can get by with minimal lighting, but your livestock won't thrive under it. I didn't get good lights for my 10 because I knew a bigger tank was only a few months away!

fishboy52

ya i was thinking that but what about the sun coral and gorgonian will they be okay since they have low lighting needs
i stay on top of my water changes and i have a good test kit
my perc. clownsifh seems happy and content (he chases the gosht shrimp: can't find a way to fit them in his mouth.)
wher your corals not happy becouse it was a 10gl or becouse low water quality or was it that your light where not strong inof.
my tank:
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 8.3
weekly water changes
1 power head
10-15lb lr
14lb ls
current animals
perc. clownfish

viper_930

Sun corals aren't photosynthetic and need to be spot fed a couple times per week with solid meaty food, which could quickly degrade the water quality in such a small tank.
Some gorgonians are photosynthetic and some aren't The ones that don't need light need to be fed with phyto and zooplankton a couple times per week.

doglvr

Originally Posted by KidWicked
why would you even bother trying to do this.. you can get a much larger tank for not much $..
LOL, are you serious? The bigger the tank, the bigger the addiction! My 10gc was stocked with little treasures from the $5 tank at my LFS. Not so with the 30gc, two treasures for this one were $49 & $39 (in one week too!)