Can you fill up a new tank with tap water.

gixxer1000

My freind got a new tank and instead of lugging about 20 5 gallon ro water from the fish store. Can he use tap water. Then after it cycles wont it be ok let me know. I have this thing my dad gave me that connects right to the sing so no MESS.

K

kistheeze

bad move in my opinion. Shouldn't have been lazy. Taking shortcuts hardly ever pays off in this hobby.

jawfishray

Well if you are going to do it anyway, and there is no stopping you..buy an inline filter to put on the hose end at the tank. It will catch any crap in your line and reduce a fair amount of the clorine, clorimine, heavy metals, etc.
But it is like eating out of a garbage can...sometimes the half eaten hamburger is not so bad.
Good luck
Ray

gixxer1000

Yea of course i know its not so good. God i wander what the people do with the 200 gallon tanks and up? Has anybody ever done this or not. It would be better if the water was colder to or it dosent matter.

calvindo

i'd filled up my 125g initially with tap water. since the fill up, top offs and water change is strickly ro/di. i guess it comes down to your tap water condition. i didnt experience any issues with using tap water to start.
initial fill up was straight from my garden hose, so yes... the water was cold :D

808smokey

I've used tap water for a long time and never had any problems. Although that was in Hawaii where the Tap water is almost perfect. I'm still in the process of cycling tap water in BFE Ohio. Besides, the ocean isn't exactly the cleanest place either :D The tap water was about 35 degrees. It was snowing outside when I filled the tank. From laundry room sink - garden house - ran for about 5minutes to clean out house - then straight to tank.

gixxer1000

Oh yea of course. I just wanted to use tap for the fill up then let it cycle for a month. Then strickly RO for then on for top off, clean filter and all.

calvindo

imo, you should be fine.... how much water are we talking about? by the way, went to grocery store the other day, saw this one guy buying like 30 jugs of water, everyone look at him like he's getting ready for the end of the world

harlequinnut

It should be fine.:) I recently got a ro/di and began doing top off and water changes with ro/di (started with tap) and I don't know if its a mind thing but I notice better extensions in the corals and the fish looked happier.:happyfish

You should be fine. If you're worried about what's in your water simply write or email or call your local utility and ask them to send you a water quality report. By law, they're required to supply a report free of charge to whoever inquires. It's about a two page report listing what's in the water in the distribution system. i.e. ammonia, metals, turbidity, etc.
If there's something in the water you're worried about, run a poly filter. They're known for taking almost everything out of the water.
HTH

jlem

Most salt mixes will make tap water safe so you should be fine. let the tank run a couple of days at temperature before adding anything in the tank to make sure that the tap water has been neutralized of any harmful chemicals. Stresscoat won't hurt anything so that would be a good idea. Just don't overdose the stresscoat or else your just reducing the water quality.

nm reef

My primary concern would be the potential for toxins and/or contaminants being introduced to a new system. As stated above your local water utility can provide a report on the specifics of your local water...in addition a lot of homes use copper plumbing and there is the potential for copper to be present...in a reef small traces of copper can be extremely problematic.
Out of concern for the initial water quality I'd prefer to be safe and use only RO or RO/DI water...it may take a little longer to fill and it may cost a bit more...but in my opinion the effort and expense is well worth it.:thinking:

T

thomas712

Yes you can cycle with tap water, you may have a larger algea bloom down the road but you can cycle with tap. Screw the stress coat, you don't need it for the cycle for crying out loud. Since you don't have to cycle with fish these days your water will have plenty of time (weeks) to adjust and cycle. Just make sure to tell your friend to have at least a 30% water change ready when the cycle is completed.
Dispite the fact that some people use garden hoses to fill the tank up the first time, the way they process those rubber hoses you would really not like some of the chemicals that they use in there. But hey everything causes cancer these days so use at your own risk. It was at least wise to run for 5 min then fill the tank.
So the answer is yes you can cycle with tap, but if you can avoid it why do it?
Thomas

K

kistheeze

Originally posted by Thomas712
So the answer is yes you can cycle with tap, but if you can avoid it why do it?

exactly. As a pet owner you should strive to provide the best enviroment for your pets. Would you fill a new guinea pig's cage with shredded particle board instead of pure cedar?

kreach

Originally posted by Kistheeze
exactly. As a pet owner you should strive to provide the best enviroment for your pets. Would you fill a new guinea pig's cage with shredded particle board instead of pure cedar?

Slightly off topic, but I would argue against the use of cedar... it is known to cause respiratory infections in small animals.

K

kistheeze

ah....good to know. But I think you get my point regardless.

beaslbob

Originally posted by gixxer1000
My freind got a new tank and instead of lugging about 20 5 gallon ro water from the fish store. Can he use tap water. Then after it cycles wont it be ok let me know. I have this thing my dad gave me that connects right to the sing so no MESS.

Basically you can and there are some very beautiful reef tanks on this board using tap water. My position is that by using tap water and first establishing a thriving plant growth, the input water is irrelevant. After a week you can not tell what kind of water was used.