Can you frag a Duncan?

albfishin'

I had my Duncan for a few months. When I purchased it, it had one head and four "buds." Now all four buds are about as big a nickles and with the original head it looks overcrowded. It's healthy and doing great. Question is, should I try to frag the heads, or is this normal for a Duncan? -OR- Will they bud off on their own? Input please...........:)

teen

i would only frag it if you plan on propagating them, to trade or sell. otherwise, iw ould just leave it as one big piece.

steve24

i bought three polyps of a Duncan and now i have seven. Viper told me that they will slowly split off and seperate ... i wouldn`t even try to frag them till then ...
steve

viper_930

You can leave it as is if you want. As Steve said the buds would eventually split off and begin to branch much like a frogspawn or torch does.
If you want to frag it you should use a dremel with a diamond wheel. Don't use snippers or try cracking the braches off because the skeleton is extremely fragile and will shatter. With the dremel just use a high speed so it's a quick clean cut.

steve24

Viper, thanks for your earlier help about Duncans...
mine has grown alot since i started feeding it 2-3 times a week

steve

promisetbg

Be certain that the polyp is in tact, partial polyps or ones that are cut open will die.{they need their gut to eat}

albfishin'

Thanks for the info guys. I will leave it alone. Like I said it started to look crowded and this being my first piece, I wasn't sure what to do. I will continue to feed (it eats like a pig, about every other day) and will leave it be. Thanks again to all.

viper_930

Originally Posted by steve24
Viper, thanks for your earlier help about Duncans...
mine has grown alot since i started feeding it 2-3 times a week

steve
No problem Steve.
I must admit I've been slacking off of feedings though.