Can you help????

clayton

Has anyone got any experience with 'cauliflower coral'? I am not sure that is the correct name but I think the one I have is a Dendronephthya (try saying that when youve had a few!). It is a red-orange soft coral that has a tree-like appearence. The insides contain spicules (silicone shapes) that losely form a skeleton. Anyway, if you know the ones I mean, can you help me out? All I know is that they are from deeper water and filter feed on the smallest of particles.

clayton

Oops, I just read an article on the web by an expert that said dendrophyta should not be kept in aquariums due to their need for a constant supply of phytoplankton, he seemed to know what he was talking about. Well I wish I had not bought them now but I have not lost a coral yet and I don't intend to start now. If any body can help out or have kept these please let me know.

reptilicus

There is a link to them on this page in the corals section which calls them Carnation corals, and also says they are very hard to keep. Phytoplankton is not as hard as it sound. Buy some Spirulina flakes, crush them up with a bit of water until you have a paste, and there's your phytoplankton!
Tom

clayton

Originally posted by reptilicus:
There is a link to them on this page in the corals section which calls them Carnation corals, and also says they are very hard to keep. Phytoplankton is not as hard as it sound. Buy some Spirulina flakes, crush them up with a bit of water until you have a paste, and there's your phytoplankton!
Tom

Liquidised food may work but it's not the same a phytoplankton, I will check up the spirulina, thanks reptilicus.
PS. wish I lived where you do!!