Can you use CC and LS together

fishfan

My 55 has 2" of CC I want to make a sand bar where I'll plant some Shaving Brush, I was thinking maybe 5lbs. of LS would do the job. Is this a good idea? And what will it do to the quality of the water?

aarone

If you ix the LS and CC overtime the CC will just push its way up to the top and make the sand settle to the bottom. I switched from cc to a LS DSB about a month ago. I would just go with the LS and nix the CC. just my .02

juddster

5lb wont go too far in your 55. It will sink under the CC forsure! switching to a sand base is the way to go for many reasons...read some posts here about sand base substarte. its a pain in the ......but its worth it!!

tangman99

I had CC for 2 years when I was FO. When I switched to a reef, I replace the CC with an Aragonite DSB and it was the best thing I ever did for my tank along with adding 100 lbs of live rock.

fishfan

So other than the CC working it's way to the top, there's nothing to worry about? I thought it might raise the pH or perhaps the nitrate levels. If that's not the case wouldn't adding the sand bed and planting the shaving brush actually help the water by absorbing carbon dioxide and controlling algea. As for the sand sinking I will be piling it up about 2" high and spreading it out about 6", any thoughts

fishfan

So other than the CC working it's way to the top, there's nothing to worry about? I thought it might raise the pH or perhaps the nitrate levels. If that's not the case wouldn't adding the sand bed and planting the shaving brush actually help the water by absorbing carbon dioxide and controlling algea. As for the sand sinking I will be piling it up about 2" high and spreading it out about 6", any thoughts