can you use regular silacone to seal a tank?

smuvcrmnal

I've used 100% silicone for kitchen and bath that I got from Lowes on my 450 gallon plywood tank and have had no problems. If you read the label some of them will list usages for the silicone. If it's not recommended for aquariums it would say so on the tube.....so look carefully. If you have a West Marine Boat store near you try the silicone that they have....oh if you cure it properly it won't leach into your system!

jeepboy

I got some aquarium silicone at Menards. All the other silicone caulking they had did not recommend continuous underwater applications.

D

daniel411

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! DO NOT TRY IT!!!!
Or... "sometimes it isn't a good idea". Some silicones have chemical additives to kill fungus, as told by a reliable source. I personally wouldn't want potential fungicides in my aquarium! Of course they may never leach out, but I wouldn't risk it. I was told its mainly just kitchen and bath silicones that have them.
Other silicones are recommended to NOT be used in continuous underwater applications.
However I've used clear silicone from home depot w/o fungicides or warnings on underwater application, and had no problem.

nas19320

If the label says 100% silicone then you should be fine. You wanna stay away from silicones that state they have mildew inhibitor chemicals.

rsd

This is really simple guys.
First the facts:
1. Since Silicone is not intended for human consumption there is no need for the manufacturers to place labels on the product warning of potential toxin leaching. The only reason some will state it and some wont is for an advertisements.
2. Most silicones (brand by brand) are manufactured through the same process and are capable of cross contaminating.
3. Anything other than 100% silicone will deteriorate under salt water and will FAIL.
4. Any silicone not created specifically for aquarium use can and will most likely carry additives to avoid deterioration due to sun light, mildew, bacteria, or salt water, PH, or micro-sized animals. These additives will harm your tank over time.
Second... The question:
1. How much money will you save buying cheap silicone at a home improvement center over buying the right stuff from a LFS?
2. How much money will you spend putting all your corals in your tank?
3. Is the savings worth it?
There are some things I go cheap on. But if it comes to risking the health of my corals/investment.... I won't go cheap.
In the end it is your choice. BTW I worked with a chemical engineer for DOW/Corning. These guys, among other things, make silicone.