can you waste a day watching your tank???

murph

Sarasota being a retirement town has a very large Hart center as part of the hospital. Almost every waiting room has some sort of Aquarium for the patients to watch before they see the doctor.
The nurses swear that it calms the patients and gives them a more accurate blood pressure reading than if the patient is left in a waiting room with nothing to do but obsess about there appointment.
I would say 9 out of 10 nurses agree. Waist some time staring at the tank at least once a day.

1journeyman

It's definitely therapy. Youth come into my office upset all the time about different things. We'll talk for a while, then eventually they will just start watching the fish, calm down...
I'm trying to figure out how to quantify the "therapeutic" value of my tank so I can put my aquarium needs into the church budget. :thinking:

steelgluer

My sister inlaw came over today last time she saw the tank was xmas of last year she spent 1 1/2 hrs looking at all the stuff in the tank. First 30 min was whats that, whats this, thats alive, who's Nemo, no way, I want one

diane4

OK, if we change the word waste to spend too much time, I would agree. It is very easy to neglect other responsibility and other chores. Can't help it.
But I say, hey, everyone has something that they spend money on and love. Some people spend a good amount of money on guns, some spend it on camera gear, computer stuff, shoes, booze, cigarettes, gambling....the list can go on.
I look at it this way. I work hard, I hold a decent job and living, I don't spend money on clothes for myself, I own about 3 pair of shoes (including the sneakers/walking shoes) and the regular shoes I wear the same pair every day during the week. I have 1 purse and don't drive fancy shmancy cars. I don't drink nor do I do drugs.
BUT...... (drum roll please) and I know many of you are in the same band that I am beating the drum to) I sure love to spend every free cent I can on fish stuff. Or on dogs. I am so excited that we will also be getting a new Doberman pup early this spring.
I enjoy my fish and my verts because they are not only beautiful special creatures of Gods earth, but they are so much more than that to me. They are our family and I love them all individually.
Today, in our 58 gallon tank where we keep fresh water blushing Koi Angel fish and black fin tetras, one of the koi fish went into a little bridge that has little doorway openings. What he didn't realize when he went in is that his height is taller than the highest part of the bridge. When i went to say hello and check the tank, I saw a cute little nose of a Koi Angle looking throught he door. If he wasn't so stressed, I could have watched and giggled longer, cause it was cute. But it wasn't cute that he was in distress and stuck, not knowing how to get out. I didn't want to push him out - it would hurt him. So I picked up the bridge and slowly turned in vertically to the larger opening where I am sure he entered by. The movement of the bridge, I am sure freaked him out and caused him to start swimming in the wrong direction. I slowly turned it again so that the side he was on was facing upward so I can help him find his way out. And he finally swam free. A bit in stress, a small scrape just before his dorsal fin starts on his head/back. But, he is ok.
I love saving the lives of my fish. That is the way we started out getting into fish big time. We rescued 2 adult oscars that were badly cared for at a local restaraunt. In 1 year, we went from 1 tank to 8.
In this hobby, the only thing that stops me from growing more is lack of wall space, money and I think time at this point. All of these tanks require a lot of care, feeding, cleaning, checking, rinsing - you name it.
Would I do it again, you bet.
I thank my husband for letting me get into it this deep and this far. And even though he does complain, validly so about the all the fish stuff laying aroudn the house, he adores all of the fish too. And he kind of fought it at first, or didn't understand what I saw in reef tanks, he now finds some joy in the reef tank. He tells me what the animals are doing, he imitates them, it makes me smile.
To me, one of my greatest joys is watching (wasting time) - my husband talk to our dog face puffer. The interaction between them is mind blowing. Plus, our df puffer makes me laugh. He is too cute for words.
And most of the folks on this site are awesome people, I enjoy hanging out with you all and share the common insanity we call, fish and reef hobbyist. It is a disease, I don't want a cure for.
:notsure:

farmboy

The tank even captures the attention of my little ones. 2, 3 and 5 years old. Although not for long!

I rarely watch TV-it' in the opposite direction from the tank.

cda fish

yep..just watching the tank is better than t.v. or anything else you know your crazy when your high point is night time you and your swetetie are cuddle up next to the tank with flashlights..wooohooo total romance.. oh by the way my favorite question hey mom whats for dinner.. my reply there is some mysis shrimp in the freezer or for a treat a little brine shrimp my family treated me to 150.00 gift certificate to my lfs for my birthday.. :jumping:

farmboy

That's an excellant gift!
WHen asked that question, my wife might shoot back, "Whatever YOU cook is what we are having". I don't think she would mind if you used that.

ithorian_r

yeah i think thats what im going to ask for when xmas rolls around. or maybe a bigger tank! hehe, always on the look out for a bigger tank...