can zoo pox spread

peckhead

can zoo pox spread? it looks like im getting it on a different collony and i just got done treatinga another one.
and another colony doesnt have pox but it doesnt open anymore. would some fresh water dips help?

earlybird

I'm in the process of freshwater dips for zoa pox as well. Doesn't seem to be helping and it has not spread to my other colonies. There are some success stories with using Furan-2 but I'm skeptical. I may take my zoas out today if there is no improvement to try to prevent the spread. I wish I had some my hospital tank up and running but I just don't have the time to set it up and work with the zoas in a different tank. Sorry I don't know if it will spread but I'm taking measures to try to prevent it though it may be to late.

flinka

I used the Furan-2 treatment on several colonies of zoas and it worked very well. Both colonies are now about 90-95% open (versus less than 50% before the treatments) and I am waiting to see if I will need to do a second round of treatments. If you do indeed have zoa pox, then from my research, freshwater dips likely won't help.

earlybird

Originally Posted by flinka
I used the Furan-2 treatment on several colonies of zoas and it worked very well. Both colonies are now about 90-95% open (versus less than 50% before the treatments) and I am waiting to see if I will need to do a second round of treatments. If you do indeed have zoa pox, then from my research, freshwater dips likely won't help.
Yeah, I have it on a frag with 2 different colonies and prior to the freshwater dip only one colony was infected. Now both have it.

myzislow

Originally Posted by earlybird
I'm in the process of freshwater dips for zoa pox as well. Doesn't seem to be helping and it has not spread to my other colonies. There are some success stories with using Furan-2 but I'm skeptical. I may take my zoas out today if there is no improvement to try to prevent the spread. I wish I had some my hospital tank up and running but I just don't have the time to set it up and work with the zoas in a different tank. Sorry I don't know if it will spread but I'm taking measures to try to prevent it though it may be to late.
you are doing fresh water dips to help rid zoa pox??? I'm sorry, but i think youre wasting your time and if anything stressing your zoas out more. Dont be skeptical of the furan-2 dips, it works, and works well, with no ill affects...
and yes zoa pox will spread like crazy if u get a bad case...

myzislow

Originally Posted by earlybird
Yeah, I have it on a frag with 2 different colonies and prior to the freshwater dip only one colony was infected. Now both have it.
that doesn't surprise me one bit..

teen

i think i have zoa pox right now. i had 4 type of zoas and they all look basically like they roted away. i havent done anything to help them. i figured ill just let them all die off, and if i want zoas again, just buy new ones in a few months.
what id like to know is if palythoas can get them. i have 3 type of palys, and none seem to be affected yet.

myzislow

teen, I had 4 types of palys in my tank at the time and not a single colony became infected FWIW. Only my zoas took a hit.

earlybird

Originally Posted by myzislow
teen, I had 4 types of palys in my tank at the time and not a single colony became infected FWIW. Only my zoas took a hit.
This is bad news for me because I was planning a mostly zoa tank. Luckily I only have one other frag with two different colonies or species. Not sure the vernacular there.
Teen could you post some pictures?

teen

i will tomorrow. its pretty much like they shriveled up and got some black goo on them, then just started to rot away. no problems with any other corals in my tank. all sps are fine, palys are fine, acans are fine, and my clams are fine. just the zoas that were affected. maybe its not zoa pox, but its some type of infection that only targeted zoas.

peckhead

well i had a coral that i treated with furan 2 and it worked but i did that and kept it in a hospital tank. can i just dip them for the recommend time and put them back in my dt or is it ness. to keep in a qt because i have a new fish in qt right now
and the other zoo i have it a paly tho it doesnt have pox it hasnt opened in days yet all my other coral look awesome. just zoos...:(

peckhead

Originally Posted by peckhead
well i had a coral that i treated with furan 2 and it worked but i did that and kept it in a hospital tank. can i just dip them for the recommend time and put them back in my dt or is it ness. to keep in a qt because i have a new fish in qt right now

guys?

myzislow

Originally Posted by peckhead
and the other zoo i have it a paly tho it doesnt have pox it hasnt opened in days yet all my other coral look awesome. just zoos...:(
you can put the back into your display after dipping no problem. I did not have a hospital tank at the time and had to put them directly back into the DT after the dip, and had no ill affects. You may want to rinse the zoos off in a bowl of tank water before you put them back, but I've read even that isn't necessary.