Candy Cane Coral Question

bragru

I have a candy cane coral. All the others I have seen appear to be very tight up to the mouth or center. This morning there is some seperation between the mouth and the tissue around it and tentacles appear. Can see right into the coral. Is this normal? Looks like it could be. Just have not seen it before.

reefkprz

yes and no they will take particles out of the water but they will also accept small meaty foods like flake mysis, cyclops, oyster egss, and any other meat (clams shrimp etc.) if chopped small enough.

bragru

Z, what would you feed it? And thanks all for your replies! It has not been constant. Have had it for three weeks and it appears to be happy. Billows up very nice during the day.

bragru

Sorry I was late with response. Answer is no, I do not feed it anything. Am I a bad care giver?

reefkprz

lots of people do spot feed their candy canes, I feed my tank pretty heavy so it gets all kinds of left overs, if its billowy and happy I wouldnt worry about it. if it starts looking shrunken with the tentacles out constantly then I would consider spot feeding. if you want to spot feed it, take some flake food and powder it up relly fine then mix it into a little tank water then suck it up with a turkey baster or feeding syringe, then give a little squirt at the coral gently. wait for the tentacles to come out and spray the particles on it you will see them stick and get pulled in. mine eats just about anything that hits its tentacles. you can also just do a general particle food like zooplankton or oyster eggs.

bragru

Z, thank you for your help. I know your information is good as your replies to other threads seem to be spot on. This is a great site for us noobs.

reefkprz

I appreciate the compliment but never take my word as 100% correct, use it as a direction to go with your own research. I am human after all and make mistakes all the time.

reefkprz

"the conscientious marine aquarist" I think by Robert fenner
and
"reef invertebrates" by Anthony calfo and Robert fenner