Candycane coral q

bojik

I picked up a small frag of this coral type recently. It has a few sections of dead skeleton. I was wondering if it would spread back into these sections.

psusocr1

it might in time but what you have to worry most about is that it dosnt spread to the live canes.. IMO i would cut the dea one away as close to the bottom as possible sdo it doesnt spread to the other.. candy canes grow by splitting from a single candy cane into two or threee then they do it againa nd again so the chances of the dead skeleton coming back arent very good

bojik

It is bare skeleton do I need to worry about it? It is a other whise healthy specimen. It has 6-7 live caps. It is not a variety that expands much. Some look like that receded at one time But have not any further than I can tell. Is it a colonial species Like zoo's that have a mutual shared connection. Or is it more solitary and only shares the skeleton?

psusocr1

they pretty much share their base, this is why if it gets a disease it can spread and wipe the colony out, but i wouldnt worry if your not seeing other heads being affected. if you do start to notice others affecte dlike is aid cut them off

scubaguy

Bojik Could post some pictures of it? I am interested because I am worried about my candy cane coral. Thank you