Canister as a power head --or other suggestions please!

dmschiff

Do any of you creative folks have any ideas or plans for converting a canister filter for the use of a power head---or any other use. Any possibility of routing the return to several different areas of the tank. ( the flow rate is 300 gph)
I would really like to get some use of this since it is only 5 months old and I paid $180 for it.
Live rock can not be kept in here since there is no light , correct?
Does any one know if it is OK to remove ALL the media at once or does it have to be done in stages? I think I read somewhere that both the carbon and the bio rings must be removed in small increments so as to not upset the system.
I know I've recently read that the constant use of carbon can cause HLLE. So, I would like to remove it and see how things look. And I don't feel very confident that the bio rings are needed once I get enough live rock.

dapak83

ive been doing similar research about my canister filter... this is what i learned....
do not remove al the media as it will get rid of the good bacteria that get rid of the nitrates...if that happens its a high rick that your system might crash...
what media do you have in the filter rite now?
i had carbon and the litle white bio rings... Since i got my skimmer now i dont need the carbon to kep the water clear. i am going to just clean the foam pad , replace carbon with a few bio balls ( gotta clean them often other wise they can become bad for your tank) and just clean some of the bio filter media!
Hope this helps!

dapak83

how is it working out for you... when u removed all the media.. did ir bring ur amonia ans nitrates up?

dapak83

they both provide the same result.. with biorings if you choose u can just take a litle bit out and replace at a time.... with the bioballs u just wash it and reuse it... they both pretty much do the same job!