canister filter or sump

sjk2840

This is my first post on this forum-this is my question, I've gotten a lot of mixed answers from my LFStores.
I am going to return to the saltwater fish hobby after 8 years-I still have my Ocean Clear canister filter and Iwaki water pump, I used it on a 125 FO tank. I've been seeing a lot of tanks with overflows and acrylic tanks with "built -in" filtration units on them. I'm not sure if I want to buy another type of filter/sump unit or end up having to get a custom drilled glass tank to accomodate my Ocean Clear filter or go acrylic tank with a built in filter and/or overflow.I'm trying to avoid pvc pipes and hardware that can be seen in the tank. I'm thinking about setting up a 75-90 gallon FO tank. Input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

scsinet

Welcome to the boards!
I am a BIG fan of sumps. They have lots of advantages, and only one disadvantage. The disadvantage is that they are a bit more complicated than canister filters, but their advantage are numerous...
-Hides equipment
-Increased water volume
-Place to introduce additives and chemicals
-More skimmer options
--etc, etc, etc.

devil dog

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2587810
Welcome to the boards!
I am a BIG fan of sumps. They have lots of advantages, and only one disadvantage. The disadvantage is that they are a bit more complicated than canister filters, but their advantage are numerous...
-Hides equipment
-Increased water volume
-Place to introduce additives and chemicals
-More skimmer options
--etc, etc, etc.
+ 1

emilaya101

I am 16 years old, and I bought a new sump along with some other things in craigslist, and I think is was the best purchase I have ever made :) I had to figure it out on my own, and it took me about two weeks, but now I have a 55g tank with a 29 gallon sump, and I'm about to start growing some chaeto in there, I think the #1 reason to buy a sump over a canister is the fact that all you have to have in the dt is your powerheads, evaeything else is in the sump, 2 heaters, skimmer, and whatever else you got. AND if thats not enough, You can even have a fuge in there. I definitely reccomend the sump !