Canister Filter - what should be in it?

yourpalcm

Setting up my first saltwater tank (75g)...
I have a Fluval 404 that I am planning to use from a freshwater tank that has been dismantled. Now I'm reading bad things about canister filters and saltwater tanks. I've read to leave all of the floss out. I've read to leave the bioballs out. I've read carbon isn't necessary (same as freshwater). ....Ummm....so what the heck should be in it if there's no floss, and no bioballs, and carbon isn't necessary? I'm confused...

scsinet

Yes... hence the problem with canisters.
The problem with them is that they create huge amounts of nitrates that must be dealt with... the only ways to get rid of nitrates without resorting to evil chemicals are lots of water changes or a refugium, which you wouldn't have with a canister filter since it requires a sump.
It depends on what you are doing...
Are you setting up just a fish system (FO), a fish system with at least 1lb per gallon of live rock (FOWLR) or a reef system, again with at least 1lb per gallon of live rock (Reef)?

yourpalcm

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Yes... hence the problem with canisters.
The problem with them is that they create huge amounts of nitrates that must be dealt with... the only ways to get rid of nitrates without resorting to evil chemicals are lots of water changes or a refugium, which you wouldn't have with a canister filter since it requires a sump.
It depends on what you are doing...
Are you setting up just a fish system (FO), a fish system with at least 1lb per gallon of live rock (FOWLR) or a reef system, again with at least 1lb per gallon of live rock (Reef)?
Oops...forgot the details. This will be FOWLR - not sure how much live rock, but at least 1lb/gallon is the plan.
Is there any great disadvantage to going without a sump AND without the canister filter? I plan on getting a Deltec MCE600, the Mother of all Skimmers and will have 4 power heads with over 2000 GPH circulation.

n2theblue

You may be able to get away with that, depenidng on your bio-load. You could also just run the canister empty for extra water movement (since you have it) and then use it to run carbon whenever the need arises.

scsinet

For a FOWLR, I wouldn't worry so much about the nitrate stories you hear about canisters. Just fill it up with bio balls or ceramic rings.
The nitrate stories are true, but you'll want that extra bio filtration in a FOWLR due to the increased bio load caused by carnivorous eaters.
But to answer your sump question... sumps are so beneficial in so many ways... why not get a sump if you are going to spend so much on a skimmer?

yourpalcm

Originally Posted by SCSInet
For a FOWLR, I wouldn't worry so much about the nitrate stories you hear about canisters. Just fill it up with bio balls or ceramic rings.
The nitrate stories are true, but you'll want that extra bio filtration in a FOWLR due to the increased bio load caused by carnivorous eaters.
But to answer your sump question... sumps are so beneficial in so many ways... why not get a sump if you are going to spend so much on a skimmer?
I hear ya. I'll off to the LFS again in about a week. I may as well bite the bullet on the sump. The reason I'm a little hesitant right now is BECAUSE I spent so much on a skimmer - I'm trying to keep the cost down at least a little now that I've sunk so much into that skimmer.