Canister Filters, best - worst?

maxalmon

Ophiura, your just incredible. I enjoy people who share what they experience and you come across as very helpfull and instructive. I always look forward to your posts..
Not sure which fish I will go with for this tank, I've got to do my research to find the correct types. I'm taking it slow and easy with all the tanks as I'm absorbing data and learning everything I can, as from another post I want to install the 1kg reef in my next home. Are there any you think would be better for this type tank.

saltfan

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Amen to that. Although I do have a canister filter, it sits on the shelf until truly needed for special occations. Perhpas to occationally polish the water or for emergancy use.
Thomas
You forgot to tell them why. You have to have a canister filter if you don't have enough LIVE ROCK, if you have plenty of LR (2lbs per gallon) then yes, the canister filter is of no reason. But if you plan on having some big fishies and need the swim room, you won't be putting in all that LR, you will need the filter. :joy:

ophiura

Originally Posted by SaltFan
You forgot to tell them why. You have to have a canister filter if you don't have enough LIVE ROCK, if you have plenty of LR (2lbs per gallon) then yes, the canister filter is of no reason. But if you plan on having some big fishies and need the swim room, you won't be putting in all that LR, you will need the filter. :joy:

I would definitely in that case do a wet dry over a cannister filter, hands down.

Maxalmon
Thanks. From the sound of it you are doing things right. A lot of choices require personal preferences and budgets, etc...but if you read and research and ask you will be on the right track.

rg6one

hi don't know no if this helps just wanted to tell you that i have had my magnum 350 for 10 years and the only thing that went bad or really just worn is the magnetic stator and i replaced it for 28.50 at marineland.com it pushes a easy 350 gph and is very easy to clean with quik connects and multiple of uses such a polisher a biological media a carbon and mechanical filter hope this helps bye.