canister or wet/dry

i have a fish only tank i have a filstar can.xp2 i have been looking at a wet/dry? should i up grade or not, is it worth it worth it?
thanks

guppie

I run a canister with my wet/dry I use the canister for a mech filter and put my carbon in it works great that way. Good Luck

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with canisters and wet/drys is that, unless you are cleaning and changing ALL filter media every 2 weeks [which kinda defeats the purpose of having these filters] then you are sooner or later going to have high nitrates.
Both are nitrate magnets.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I am not expert on filtration systems, and there are certainly many filters and filtration methods out there to choose from. I think the natural filtration method is probably the best. Basically, LR, LS, powerheads and skimmer--and for FO tanks, UV sterilizer. That's it!
:D

a novice

[Beth] Is it okay to go with a natural setup for a larger tank? I am problaby going to set up a 150 gallon FOWLR tank. I'm researching my filtration options now. Thanks
(sorry for 'butting' into your thread, Trigger Happy)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Most definately! The bigger the tank, the better. LS and LR is the key, along with detrivores [cleanup crew]. These are your natural filters. Research deep sand beds [DSB].