Canister question

birds fan

Just purchased a new 45g and I'm thinking about my equipment needs. I'd like to run a canister, for space reasons (no interest in a sump), and would like opinions/experiences on what to purchase. I've noted that Eheim's have great reviews and Fluval's have o-ring issues.
Also, in your experiences, do canisters increase the level of nitrates?
Thanks

traps

My experience, if you clean it monthly (maybe 6 weeksly), do your regular water changes and just have good practices, didn't add much to nitrate for me.
That was on previous tanks though, currently setting up a new tank that will either be o' natural, or have a refuge/sump.
Oh and a friend has an Eheim (for his freshwater) and he loves it. Been running for 2 years straight and he's never had a problem. Don't think he ever cleans it either....

birds fan

Originally Posted by Traps
http:///forum/post/2643238
My experience, if you clean it monthly (maybe 6 weeksly), do your regular water changes and just have good practices, didn't add much to nitrate for me.
That was on previous tanks though, currently setting up a new tank that will either be o' natural, or have a refuge/sump.
Oh and a friend has an Eheim (for his freshwater) and he loves it. Been running for 2 years straight and he's never had a problem. Don't think he ever cleans it either....
Hmm. Wonder if I would be better off bagging the canister and using more LR and adding another power head.

jbird0420

I love my magnum 350 canister on my 55! I had it for 10 years, just had to replace worn seals after time! I highly recommend

cowfishrule

i had a fluval 305 with no issues. the last one i had cracked (my own fault).
i had the 2 pads, a tray of carbon, and 2 trays of lr rubble.
loved it.
filtration and lots of water movement all in one.
it was easy to maintain (as long as i stayed on top of it) and i never had 'trate issues.