Cannister Filter Order

N

nereef

i would put carbon so that it is the last to have input water through it. this should make it last longer.

jwhitehorn

So I would be cool with Rubble Rock, then the nitrate remover chemicals, then the Carbon bags? Got it all from my LFS but didn't remember which order they told me to do it.

N

nereef

that sounds good. make sure to rinse that rubble in a bucket with the water change water in it every so often.

dapak83

wait rubble rock in a canister is good?... i herd that it wont have any live critters cuz no light and no oxygen?

N

nereef

rubble acts the same way bioballs do. lots of surface area for lots of biological filtration.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by dapak83
wait rubble rock in a canister is good?... i herd that it wont have any live critters cuz no light and no oxygen?
why would it have no oxygen?

mrinelfrlz

i also have a canister filter i got boi rings instead im putting them in tomorrow
i was also told (here) that when i clean them off periodically to only clean part of them off to keep some of the bacteria growth off but get rid of the excess too
but im cutting the filter netting off and placing them into my middle section
i have a cascade 1500 series
hope this hepls

dapak83

i dono thats what i was told... i m kinda confused!... i just kept some bioballs and the bio rings in mines....! i m puting the rubbles in the fuge i will be building!

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by dapak83
i dono thats what i was told... i m kinda confused!... i just kept some bioballs and the bio rings in mines....! i m puting the rubbles in the fuge i will be building!
the only thing about the bio balls as i was told(here) that you dont want to completely submerge them
they are useless
here is a link to that thread if you all want to see what they said

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=268639

N

nereef

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
I was just about to take the rubble out of my cannister? Now I"m confused? It will or won't help?
yes it will help. bacteria will grow on the rubble to process nitrogen, acting as a biological filter. also, larger particles will be trapped in the rubble. the same as bio-balls, but better in my opinion. bioballs and rubble need to be rinsed with water from the tank every so often to remove excess waste from them.