cannot raise Ph or Calc

jimreemts

I have been having this problem for a long time. Here are my perameters, If anyone has suggestion I am all eyes.
100gallons 800watts metal halide canister, four power heads moving 1800 gallons per hour.
Calcium: 320
Ph: 7.9-8.0
Alkalinity: 3.0
Magnisuim: 1050
temperture: 77.5 at night 79.5 day
Salinity: 1.025
I bought a KH test kit but It is tuff to read I am going back to the store tomorrow for help with it.
I have no clue why I cannot raise my Ph or calcium. I was using B-oinic two step dosing for Calcium and Alk. But it did not seemm to help. Should I go back to the Seachem Reef Builder and Kent marine turbo- calcium suppliments?
I am having a hair algae problem, I was running lights for 10hr a day but cut back to 6hrs to see if that would help?

renogaw

b-ionic will only get your calcium up to about 340, and alk to about 8dkh. but your magnesium is quite low (should be about 1300) and if that is low it almost prevents your calc/alk/ph from being stable.
i've been using a DIY 2 (well three) part solution for about 4 months made up of Dowflake, Magflake and epsom salt, and Baking powder. it's been getting my levels up near 420, 1340, and 10dkh. i never check my ph because it generally is between 8 and 8.4 (depending on the light going through that god awful test kit).
your ph will fluxuate during the day as well, so don't worry too much about it.
randy holmes-farley has a great article out there on dealing with your issues and how to make the improved DIY 2 part solution.

mscarpena

Raise you magnesium and go back to the other suppliments. B-ionice I use 2x per week for the trace elements. I use seachem reef builder and turbo calcium for calcium and alk.

jimreemts

The test kit for alk is read in meg/l it and the ph is made by Seachem. the calcium test kit is made by nutrafin, the magnesium is made by salifert. what would I use to raise my magnisium?

renogaw

epsom salts and magflakes is what i use, but there are premade material out there to do it as well.
i just can't see spending the money on them when i can make the same stuff for a fraction of the cost.

dutch06

Renogaw - Why will B-Ionic only get your calcium to 340? Will you give your 3-part recipe for dosing Alk and Calc? Thanks. (Not trying to hi-jack your thread Jim. Just curious.)

renogaw

there's a very popular online magazine that i cannot tell you where to find it. but if you do a search for randy holmes-farley 2 part it will bring you right where you need to go.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Dutch06
Renogaw - Why will B-Ionic only get your calcium to 340? Will you give your 3-part recipe for dosing Alk and Calc? Thanks. (Not trying to hi-jack your thread Jim. Just curious.)

they tell you that their dosing only brings you to 8dkh and 340 calc.

dutch06

Thanks Renogaw. I read it. Admittingly, some of it is over my head. (Ok, most of it, but I get the gist of it.)

renogaw

honestly, just reread it a couple times. don't get into the logistics of the stuff though lol. there is a dosing calculator that helps you figure out how much to dose.