Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT - Opinions?

wax32

I'm looking to get a digital SLR and I'm liking what I have read about the Rebel XT. Anyone have any exerience with this camera?

jer4916

i work with them all the time, if your wanting to go that high end, i would get the 10d if i were you, reb's have a SLOW shudder speed.
imo

lectriceel

I shoot a Cannon 10D and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I have been more then pleased with the performance of my camera.
Paul

wax32

The newer XT says it's much faster, and by shutter speed I think you really mean, how fast it cycles between shots?

jer4916

lol, if you say " cycles " to someone who doesn't know cameras they look at you like your retarded...and then you go into a 20 minute indepth " training " ..i'd much rather say shudder to the lay man :)
~chris

wax32

I peeked around a couple web-sites and didn't see the 10D offered, I'm guessing the 20D is the current model? 1500ish is the price range of that one. I found the XT in the below 700 range with the 18-55 lens. Now to talk my wife into it! :D

sharkbite

I Have A Nikon D70 And Love It. Fast, Excellent Battery Life, Metal Body/lense Attachments. The Canon Is Plastic. Nikon Has A Slighty Cheaper D50 Coming Out That Is Similar......

Originally Posted by Jer4916
i work with them all the time, if your wanting to go that high end, i would get the 10d if i were you, reb's have a SLOW shudder speed.
What your saying makes absolutely no sense. If you are deciding between the XT and the 10D, definately go for the XT as usually, nobody wants to shoot reef with a shutter speed of 2000+, I hope, unless they are forced to due to too much light. If you like small cameras with a dSLR-like feel, go with the XT (if you have small hands). If you have big, you can always add on the battery grip for the little extra pinky space or you can upgrade to the D70/20D. In my opinion, 20D surpasses all three cameras (yes I understand that it's move expensive) but it has a lot more features; though one shooting strictly saltwater photography might not find them useful. If I was on a tight budget, I would go with the Rebel XT with a long macro lense, such as the 100mm/2.8 from Canon or the 150mm/2.8 from Sigma. Hope this helps.
-Justin

wax32

100mm/2.8 from Canon :D That's a nice lens. Yeah the 20D is what I would REALLY like. I do have big hands, but I have handled the XT and it seems not too small.

ktsdad

We bought the Canon Digital Rebel (before the XT was available) last year and we love it!
Can't go wrong with either of the Canon models! :D :joy:

kimber27

Just a quick note - When dealing with digital SLRs be very careful when removing/changing the lens - they have a tendency to attract dust particles which can become insanely annoying and if you decide to have it cleaned - it's extremely expensive.

kimber27

Do they even make a manual focus digital slr? I know on mine I can switch back and forth but I haven't seen a strickly manual since my old Nikon FM2.

wax32

I mean one that can switch to manual. I don't know if there are any that have no autofocus at all. My wife uses Fuji S3 Pro cameras at work and her boss says I can borrow one anytime, so maybe I won't be buying one. (That's my wife's plan anyway. Personally I hate borrowing... I want one here all the time!) :D