Canon Rebel XT (lens and CF card)?

sydneywood

I got my camera in the mail today, I ordered the Rebel XT from Vanns.com. My husband and I both read the item's description, called and asked questions, and comparison shopped. The only problem is, apparently since all of the others we saw for sale came with the 18-55mm, I guess we started to assume that's what lens came with the cameras that came with a lens. I got it today and it comes with the 28-90mm lens. I paid $429 free shipping, did I still get a good deal? Can someone tell me in the most basic of layman's terms what the difference is, I'm a beginner with the slr camera and the terms are looking like a foreign language. Also, I assumed a regular SD memory card would work for me which of course I learned after beginning to read the manual that it takes a CF. I see some for about 20 bucks on ---- with free shipping at 4G size. That seems like plenty to me, but what do I know, things could be different for this type of camera. Gneral rule for me the pictures come off and onto the computer within a day or two of being taken and I rarely take more than 200 shots at a time. Thanks folks, you've already been of great help in me getting this far with my purchase.

nano reefer

thats a little steep... personally i would have put in another 70 to get the new sony apha a200. amazing specs. but i dont know how good that lens is.

Well to make you feel a bit better I paid over a 1000 for my XT (when it just came out) I have a 1G CF card and it will hold close to 600 pix.. I also have the 75-300mm lens and I love it. LOL the sad part is that I have hardly used it so I kinda do/dont know how to use it all of the way.. Dont like to read inst is my prob.. try,try,try until you get it right.

Sydneywood;2699055 said:
I got it today and it comes with the 28-90mm lens. I paid $429 free shipping, did I still get a good deal? Can someone tell me in the most basic of layman's terms what the difference is, I'm a beginner with the slr camera and the terms are looking like a foreign language./QUOTE]
The main difference between the 18-55mm lens and the 29-90mm is that...In laymen's terms, your 18 is a more WIDE angle and can take in more when completely zoomed out. The 55, though not a true acute angle, it is more acute than the 18, so when you zoom in it will zoom much further than the 18mm. Now, the same logic applies to your 29-90mm. the 29-99mm will be able to zoom in closer than the 18-55, but on the other hand, it won't be able to zoom out and get the wide angle that the 18-55mm can.
a lens is a lens is a lens. they are all good for different purposes.
For basic photography the 18-55mm is fine, and so is the 29-90mm.

sydneywood

Thanks guys, that price was by far the cheapest for an XT, and if the lens doesnt make too much of a difference then I still feel like I got a deal. My mom has a sony, and although it is a cybershot point and shoot, i've never liked her camera, nor her Sony Vio. I do, however love other Sony products and that's why I never considered a Sony.
Thanks again,
SWJ

05xrunner

Dont worry..if you really want that 18-55 you can find them used for like 60bucks..its nothing really. I have never heard of them coming with a 29-90 lens but your just starting out so I am sure you will eventually get rid of that lens anyway and get something better. I usually just buy the bodies for cheaper then buy the lens I want.