Canopy Builds?

zero26

Anybody have any good canopy build pics? How did you incorporate lighting? I am going to be building a stand and canopy. Do you have to get retrofit kits and attach them to the canopy, or can I get a stand on the tank lighting, and just build around leaving holes where the fans are? Thanks!

mantisman51

I made a 10" canopy for my 125g reef tank and an 8" for my 55g aggressive/QT tank. I have after pictures, but no before pictures. I simply used 2x2 boards for corner braces where the 2x10 joined and side supports with 1x4 boards for the cross boards that the lights rest on. For a lid, I used 1/4" plastic coated (on one side) wall panel and brass hinges. The total, including light oak stain/urythane, was $40 at Home Depot and took about 2 hours to complete for the 125g and about $20 for the 55g.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3006241
Here is the build for my 125gal canopy. The front is basically two long strips of wood with center pieces. We clamped the entire section together and then nailed the support piece of wood behind all three sections. It also acts as the support to keep the canopy up on the tank. The sides are full plywood and so is the top. All of the wood is 'furniture grade' 7 layer plywood. We had HD cut the long strips to size so they'd be cut straight. We also added 'crown' and face molding, and router'ed the doors.
The pics probably explain better then I can.

Lighting was a MH fixture, I used 8 fisheye bolts for and hung on the inside of the canopy. 4 screwed into the underside of the canopy, 4 bolted to the fixture.

mie

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/306266/72-bow-custom-hood-build
Bow front build.

ryenye

another option if you don't have the time or energy to make a stand or canopy is to find a cabinet maker in your area. Since they aren't building many houses right now, a cabinet maker made my stand and canopy for my 150 for $250. It came our really nice also, just another option.