Canopy fans and condensation .

drtito

I have a 125 FOWLR planning on reef again , have few fish and light bio load , snails ,a few hermits.
Lights are LED's with more LED's on way.

Under the canopy , the moisture is starting to cover the inside and condense, making droplets around edge.

Should I rise top a lil bit or add fans to back ???

2quills

If it's completely enclosed I would add fans and ventilate the canopy. Will help buffer against low ph if c02 can't readily dissipate. As well as help with condensate issues.

florida joe

Just my own .02 go with two fans in the canopy one bringing air into the canopy and one out.

An old timers trick with canopy’s get high reflective tape at Lowes and tape the entire inside of the canopy for reflection back into the tank.

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

I always painted the inside of my canopies with a thick layer of white paint for the reflection. Then I spray painted gloss metallic paint on top of it. It gave it some protection against moisture and reflected a lot of light back down into the tank.

But that's just me.

2quills

That's basically what I did with mine. 2 fans pulling fresh air in, 1 pulling air out along with 2 large vents on the back.

High gloss, urethane enamel, white paint. Never had a issue with condensation build up in the canopy. And help keeps the tank cool in summer.

drtito

It is painted white on the inside , from when it was MH bulbs , T5s , LED's and 4 feet taller. In the dinning room.

Then moved it to a huge room with super tall ceiling and it seemed to boxy so i changed things up , aka$$$ , going all LED main , BLUE/WHITE , moon . Gonna rise the top a bit and see how that goes, & their are a few vents out back but it condenses up top.

If i Need fans what is a good brand ?

2quills

I just got some inexpensive computer fans with the lowest decibels I could find.

Then found a cheap, variable 3v -12v power supply from Walmart to drive them with so I can control the speed.