Canopy help - 65 gal hex

scgator

OK here's the problem. I want to make a hood for my mom-in-laws 65 hex. I only have a jigsaw. Can anyone tell me how to make the angles? I assume I need to get some kind of guide (mitre saw?) How do I make the angles match?

grumpygils

Originally Posted by scgator
OK here's the problem. I want to make a hood for my mom-in-laws 65 hex. I only have a jigsaw. Can anyone tell me how to make the angles? I assume I need to get some kind of guide (mitre saw?) How do I make the angles match?

I used a cardboard pattern.
Mc

scgator

Grumpy
Were the angles a problem on the sides? The reason I'm asking is I tried to make a frame (stretched frame canvas for painting) and couldn't get the angles to fit flush.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by scgator
Grumpy
Were the angles a problem on the sides? The reason I'm asking is I tried to make a frame (stretched frame canvas for painting) and couldn't get the angles to fit flush.

Mine came out pretty close. When done and assembled, I filled any gaps with wood puddy and sanded. For strength, you can buy little steel brackets that you can bend and put in each of the 6 corners. The brackets were actually what my lid rested on so it was recessed.
Mc

madtownman

Go buy a speed square from your local hardware store, and if you buy the swanson brand it comes with a book to tell you how to get the exact angle. Then with that speed square, you can mark your angle on your board, and cut it with anything you have. A chop saw would be your best bet for consistent cuts.

rryyddeerr

Originally Posted by BOSTON
Cut all of the angles at 22 1/2 degrees

uh, i just made a foot for my stand and used 30 degrees for each cut with a circular saw. i think 22.5 would be for 8 sides.